Wednesday 28 August 2024

That Dress!

 
A number of people mentioned my African print dress. Here's the story... When we lived in Leicestershire, I sometimes went to the nearby village of Anstey. They had two two primary schools, and I did quite a bit of supply teaching in one of them in the early 2000s. In the centre of the village was a square - round it were a variety of shops; bakers, butchers,coffee shop, newsagent, PO, hardware store, hairdresser,  building society, chippy and florist. But also a charity shop and a branch of Nat West Bank. It was quicker and easier to drive to Anstey, park for free, and use that branch, than to go into the City Centre for my own bank. And back then, we occasionally had cheques to pay in. And if it was open I'd cheque out the CS. 
One summer day I found the dress on a sale rail. It was less than £5. I liked the cool cotton, and the vibrant print, and the amber 'glass' beads round the neckline. It was originally from Primark. There was a lot of fabric in the dress and I thought that even if I wore it just for the summer, I could recycle the beads and fabric for other makes. That was 2007! And every time I wear it, I receive compliments.
But the best was in 2008. I'd been at a Garden Party on a very hot day - but felt cool and comfortable. On the way home I was passing the big out of town M&S and I stopped to buy fresh milk in the Foodhall. 
As I queued, I realised two Rather Posh ladies behind me were discussing The Dress "it's exactly the sort of thing I want for the wedding. Bright, but cool, and comfortable. I love the print, and it's a flattering style... The beaded neckline is gorgeous" I turned round and smiled. One woman blushed, the other said "Please, where did you buy it? I'm going to a society wedding next month and that dress is so unusual, it would be just perfect..." I  admitted that it was from a CS. [didn't mention Primark, they didn't sound like they'd shop there!]
When I recounted the tale later, one friend said that my response should have been "Look, we are in M&S. Buy me a dress in here, and I'll put it and give you this one" I thought at the time that would have been a brilliant solution. But 16 years later, I'm glad I've kept my dress. It still sparks much joy.
Thanks for the kind words for Bob. He is learning to cope with his crutches. But it is both tiring and frustrating at times. George and Jacob decorated his big black boot with stickers to cheer him up! 

24 comments:

  1. What a great story and bargain of a dress. I think Primark’s clothes were better fabric then and the dress shows that. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think M&S used to use better fabric too

      Delete
    2. I agree. There has been a Primark in Romford since I was a teen and I've still got clothes from there, from that time, that are still going. I was sad when it started going all Fast Fashion! Kezzie x
      Your dress is a beauty!!!

      Delete
  2. I like the story behind the dress!
    Glad that Bob is getting used to using crutches. That's so cute that George and Jacob decorated his boot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an interesting and amusing story about your dress. What a bargain, I love charity shops and have had some great bargains myself. Best wishes to Bob I bet the stickers helped! I was lethal on crutches not just to myself but to others nearly tripping them up. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bargain dress and even if you did buy it from a charity shop, its always nice to receive compliments. Hope Bob copes with the crutches and is soon back on his own two feet. Hugs Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan From Across the Pod28 August 2024 at 12:22

    Stickers to cheer Bob. Of course they will do their part to lift his spirits. I love the caring ways of your grands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am interesting story about your dress. It's great when a favourite really stands the test of time.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that story and I love the adjectives
    "Bright but cool and comfortable" which is how I would love to be described myself! It's a special dress and I am so glad you have it.
    Hope the time on crutches goes fast for Bob, I know he will keep busy one way or another as you two have so many hobbies and activities.
    I hope his foot mends quickly. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some CS shopped items become old friends. I have a skirt that I bought around 20 years ago and I still love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just to reassure you of my prayers for Bob and this latest complication. I am hoping the enforced extra rest will help his back and that the extra burden on you will not prove crippling. Thinking of you so much. Nicky K

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much Nicky. Taking each day as it comes. Will know more after the fracture clinic visit

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never have guessed that was a Primark dress. It's so striking. Does Bob like doing jigsaws? You can do them online now. Might keep him amused for a little while?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the jigsaw enthusiast. He's been watching many, many YouTube videos about woodwork and bbq techniques!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!