Thursday 15 August 2024

Ladybird, Ladybird...

 ...fly away home.
Kirsten's gift of the Ladybird book set me thinking about this book series for children. I knew that Henry Wills company was founded in Loughborough, just north of Kirby Muxloe, in 1867. In 1904 he joined with William Hepworth, and they printed their first children's book in 1914 . But "Ladybird" books as such really began in 1940, the first one being Bunnikins Picnic Party. They were slim, small volumes, easy for a child to hold - and the size was chosen because it made most efficient use of a sheet of printers' paper, and there was no wastage [this was Wartime!]
Here is my much thumbed copy from 1958. I was three and a half! The dust jacket has long disappeared. My Mum has written my name and the date inside the cover. Look at the pattern on the paper- the ladybirds have their wings open. Later the company changed to the familiar insect with 10 spots

In 1963, I got Things To Make.  Mum marked it again - but she had obviously acquired a multicoloured biro as 
she's written my name in rainbow hues! Within a few years they were starting to make the covers coloured, and no longer supplied dust jackets. I have a few remaining on the shelf - Kings and Queens of England, and some other historical characters, and a book of British birds,. My Bible Stories have gone awol, maybe I donated them to somebody. 
Now here's a thing - if you ask people about the Ladybird Reading Scheme, many will mention Janet and John. But J&J were written in 1949/50 and published by James Nisbet. The Ladybird Scheme came out in 1964, just in time for my brother starting school, and the children were Peter and Jane. The books remained in print for half a century, and the characters gradually changed [no more golliwog toys, and \mummy gets to wear jeans!]
I continued to acquire Ladybird books - their simple format and cleat presentation of facts made them useful in the classroom and with my own children. On one very long journey, we stopped at the motorway services and bought a copy of Mervyn Mouse to read to the children.
Like the Gruffalo for today's parents, many of us Mums and Dads of the Millennial Generation, knew this one by heart. In it, Mervyn swims the Channel and needs to insulate himself against the cold. I remember a Summer Barbecue, when Bob picked up the butter dish and declared "I will grease you" Lucy said and many of the assembled company chorused back "I've got a pound of lard"
I have a fondness for these little books. Except The Ladybird Book of the Royal Wedding [1986 - Andrew and Sarah] There was an escape situation in the Manse and one of the pet gerbils made a dash for the door. A quick thinking daughter endeavoured to block his way with this book. Unfortunately his head and the book collided, and we had one less gerbil!
Do you have any favourite Ladybird Books?














30 comments:

  1. Oh yes Angela, my all time favourite Ladybird Book is Cinderella, not for the story but the
    ' Frocks' in particular the gorgeous blue satiny one ( reminds me of hydrangeas) I have a real thing about that book 😉😄
    Thanks for the nostalgic post, and the reminder about the Peter and Jane books. That how I learned to read, on Mum's lap before I started school.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The illustrations were so colourful, and the company used some very gifted artists

      Delete
  2. Always 'The Party'. Especially the illustration for 'Hunt the thimble'. Actually all the illustrations; wrapping the present, the children's bedroom where they changed into best Party clothes... also the book with the 'old Tom tomato' rhyme in it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember either of those books! Will check out the tomato rhyme 🍅🍅🍅

      Delete
    2. I looked it up... ladybird bedtime rhymes, now costing £20 give or take for the proper old book!

      Delete
  3. The 'What to Look for' seasons series are my favourites because of the illustrations.
    I didn't have any as a child - books weren't bought for me by parents - but my sister - four years later had Bunnykins and I remember reading it to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those "seasonal" books were a brilliant introduction to nature

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Green Umbrella, one of the rabbit books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite Ladybird books are the ones for adults. Someone gave Norrie the Shed one and I have bought different funny ones for various people over the last few years. Our daughter liked the Mr Men and Little Miss books. I think I had Janet and John readers when I started school in January 1955 but I could already read thanks to a Gran who taught me using the Bible and The People’s Friend! As a teacher, I used Dick and Dora and Nip and Fluff, then Link Up, then Oxford Reading Tree. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got The Shed one in a CS for Bob! Yes, I think the Bible [King James Version, thees and thous and verily] and The People's Friend were two of my Early Reading Primers too! ORT and Biff and Chips were popular in the schools where I worked on Supply

      Delete
  7. I still have the four copies of What To Look For in Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter that my grandparents gave me when I was a child not sure how old about 8 at a guess, still in dust jackets also a copy of The Night Sky. I had lots more but they are all gone now. I love the Tunnicliffe illustrations of the season books. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tunnicliffe was SO gifted in his nature illustrations

      Delete
  8. I learnt to read with Peter and Jane and the Ladybird books. I loved them, although I had only a couple of my own. I did however, have some earlier Janet and John books that I bought with my pocket money at a jumble sale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a Janet and John-er! Did you ever listen to Terry Wogan's J&J's stories? Used to make my morning when I was a new Mum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a little rude, weren't they...

      Delete
  10. The Ladybird books were a brilliant series. I noticed from your photo of your Mum writing your name in the front of the book that we share the same second name Margaret. My Mum was Margaret although always called Peggy and we gave our daughter the name as her second name. Hugs Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum, myself and my daughter share Margaret as a middle name. But Mum's sister was called Peggy [that was her given name, not an abbreviation]

      Delete
  11. Being considerably older than you and your fellow commenters, and from across the pond, I can well remember the first reader - Fun with Dick and Jane. "See Spot. See Spot run. Look, Jane. I can run with Spot." I am 83 and can still remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My generation know "Fun With Dick and Jane" as the title of a comedy film from 1977 with Jane Fonda. What matters is that you learned to read, and are still doing it, Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  12. I loved all the Ladybird books and still have some very battered copies. As a teacher of children with SEN, I found that Ladybird books 'got through' to some children where others didnt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to buy Ladybird books whenever I was in the UK and bring them back to my children in the US. They loved them. Now that they are all in their 40s (one turns 50 this year--gulp), I bring the LB books back for my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is lovely to read. There are still plenty on sale in the Charity Shops. Fortunately not all as rare or expensive as Kirstens choice [see above]

      Delete
  14. I think I still have a couple of LB books stashed in the garage where they have remained since our downstairs was flooded. Do you remember the Garden Gang books by a very young author, Jayne Fisher? She seems to have disappeared and I expected her to become a good adult writer. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She became an artist, last year she had an exhibition in London, as Jayne B Fisher. Sadly about 10 years back someone started posting malicious false statements about her death. But I believe she is still alive and well. Painting, but not writing!!

      Delete
  15. Sorry I forgot to sign in earlier. My favourite was The Green Umbrella. I have spent the day with my older sisters, remembering the past. We learned to read from a much older book where the characters were Ned, Dan, and Nat, who had a ball and a dog.
    We learned our numbers and letters writing with chalk, following the ones printed on each side of a slate boards. They must have been as old as the school, built in 1861.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another vote for the Green umbrella ☔. I still love writing with chalk

      Delete
  16. I suppose Hall is not an uncommon name, but I did have a great, great grandmother, Charlotte, with that maiden name!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!