Tuesday 20 August 2024

Venerable Beads

Some time ago, Steph gave me a lovely braided bead necklace [thank you]
I'd seen similar ones at the Forum Market over the weekend, and it occured to me this would look good against my plain blue teeshirt. So I wore it to church on Sunday. Stood up for first hymn and felt something brush past my hand. A tiny turquoise bead. I instinctively cupped my hand at the base of my sternum and by the end of verse two, had a dozen beads nestling in my palm.
When we sat down I transferred them carefully to the adjacent empty seat and found a piece of paper in my bag, and folded a small makeshift packet to contain them all. After the Benediction I retrieved #1 bead from the carpet. There was a tiny loose strand of beading wire, about 2cm long. Fortunately the damage seemed contained [Imagine if the whole thing had collapsed, said Charlie, next to me]. I estimate there are literally thousands of beads. You would not notice the absent beads unless you studied it very closely.
I came home from church with another craft project. My friend Gwyneth had told me she was bringing it. A little cardboard box, which opens out to become a stable. And a heap of figures, plus cow and donkey. Also, G had brought me some good quality felt and cotton fabric in a bag.
The thing is, this Nativity Set was a gift. But only after opening it did Gwyneth discover there are Kings and Shepherds and animals.
But no Mary or Joseph, and no Baby Jesus!!!
As she said "Isn't that the point of a crib scene? The Son of God, laid in the manger?"
My task is to make these missing characters, in good time for Christmas. I shall make it a priority - I don't want to put it aside and suddenly realise we are into Advent.
What a very bizarre gift.
I am reminded of Winnie the Pooh and his empty Hunny Jar for Eeyore! 
Have you ever received a gift that 'wasn't quite all there'?

20 comments:

  1. Amazing necklace, are you going to be able to fix it ⁉️
    Yes, I've received a few rather strange gifts over the years, but mainly things that have very obviously been laid in the bottom of someone's drawer waiting to be gifted on.......tarnished photo frame springs to mind πŸ˜‚ I'm at that stage when I'd rather be given just a card or even nothing at all than someone elses cast offs, apologies this makes me sound a right old misery πŸ˜‰
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a couple of dots of clear nail varnish will keep further beads from falling...like you, kind birthday wishes, just knowing I'm loved, is more than enough. And I always enjoy small edible gifts! They do not take up space in the bungalow

      Delete
  2. What a bizarre nativity set!

    About 40 years ago I gave my husband a small electronic chess set so that he could play chess without a live partner. Unfortunately it came without any handbook or instructions. Puzzling out how it worked took him quite a while before he could start playing chess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kits with no instructions are a real challenge

      Delete
    2. As he is like my husband in some respects, I suspect that the time spent working out how to use it was possibly even more enjoyable than actually using it in the end.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I get that. The challenge is sometimes more rewarding than the final outcome

      Delete
  3. Imagine if it had slowly started to unravel as you walked from Church....a little trail of beads and the whole congregation rescuing them! Hope you can get it mended, it's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like half the things I purchase on Amazon are missing something! For a few moments I thought you were going to say the entire necklace broke and I could picture beads flying everywhere! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have livened up the morning service!

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh, imagine if it all the tiny beads had started falling off. I wonder who had the job of making such a complex necklace, it must have been very time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if African girls had made it, like the ones I saw at the market. Sadly their labour costs are not valued highly, and I imagine they do not earn much for their skills.

      Delete
    2. I, too envisaged the entire necklace falling apart. I'm sure you will examine it very carefully to check all the other strands.
      I know you are going to do a fantastic job creating the Holy Family and can't wait to see what you come up with. Don't outshine the other little creatures too much with your skills! JanF

      Delete
    3. The little mice have definitely been my favourite summer makes

      Delete
  6. I am pleased you rescued the beads. I am sure you will be able to mend the necklace somehow. How strange to get a nativity scene without the main castπŸ˜‰. No doubt you will put your skills into making Mary, Joseph and the baby Jesus. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect the donor had put MJ&J in a separate place, and passed on the little box without checking the contents. I wonder if NEXT Christmas they will turn up...

      Delete
  7. Aren't you thankful that you weren't preaching when the necklace started to drop beads?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you were able to rescue the beads and hopefully, you'll be able to fix the necklace. I, too, wonder if the Holy Family were stored separately and the person giving the gift forgot to include them. But, I'm sure you'll be able to make a new replacement Holy Family. :)

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!