Saturday 24 August 2024

What A Load Of Old Rot!

February 2021 - just a few months prior to retirement. I made a quick trip up to Cornerstones [in the snow] and found a brand new green compost bin lying on its side in the back garden. I knew the council were selling them, so wondered if this had been delivered to the wrong address. I walked all round the houses, asking neighbours - but nobody claimed it. Three months later, when we moved in permanently, I decided to start using it. It has worked well - and each winter I have been able to put a thick layer of compost as a mulch on my Raised Bed. 

The men were coming to replace the fence, and it had to be moved out of their way. In the spring, once I had done the mulching, I moved the empty bin to the area of the garden near the RB.
The new location has proved much more convenient, especially for nipping out from the kitchen with bowls of peelings etc. Bob has pegged it down to prevent it blowing about

I've been super diligent about layers of 'green' and 'brown' materials - and realised the bin was getting pretty full. The council is still offering inexpensive bins, so I thought I would get a second one.

I collected it last Tuesday and stood it alongside the first. 
But there are some issues with it...
  • It is a different colour and shape [not a problem]
  • It has a larger door at the base [good]
  • It has no ventilation holes [does that matter?]
  • It has an impossibly difficult push fit lid [bother]
Thursday night we discussed the best strategy - and concluded that 
  • if I empty bin #1 into bin #2 then that compost can rot away till spring, and I will start refilling the green one [with its easy twist and lift lid]
  • Bob will work out a way of pegging it down as it has no obvious fixing points
  • whilst swapping the contents over will give them a good stirring, it will be hard work
Conclusion - unpeg green bin, lift it up carefully, and drop larger black bin over the contents, then peg that down. Locate green bin in adjacent spot. But all this will be after all the family have gone home.
7 am Friday morning, sitting in bed enjoying a cuppa, remarking how windy it was. Big Bang outside! Is that the new compost bin travelling to the neighbours? wondered Bob. I trotted outside in my pjs, and found the regular green wheelie bin [emptied Wednesday] lying on its side. And the new black compost bin on the other side of the garden, with lid and door lying nearby on the grass.

Which is why we currently have a compost bin in our Futility Room, awaiting relocation, filling and pegging down. I shall be glad when all is sorted and ready to rot...



14 comments:

  1. It's a good thing you have a place to keep the composting bin until it can be placed and secured in the garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you swap compost contents wear a mask. Not sure I understood you correctly but just in case I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that is a really helpful comment, Rachel.๐Ÿ‘ I had already decided to avoid a windy day - but you are right, I need to avoid breathing in any nastiness๐Ÿ˜œ

      Delete
  3. There's a school of thought that says you should turn your compost heap over from time to time, and you can even buy compost bins mounted to make this easier. I'm not diligent about green and brown waste, but we line the kitchen caddy with brown paper bags, and I chuck in shredded paper from time to time...it seems to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have started lining my kitchen caddy with a paper bag too [makes it easier to empty!]

      Delete
  4. I put half an egg box in the bottom of my indoor compost bin (removing any paper label first). When it is emptied in the garden compost bin it may create air gaps (especially the half that holds eggs) which I always understood helped compost.

    When I worked I used to pass egg boxes on to a colleague, but now feel I’m doing something more purposeful with them rather than just popping them in the recycl8ng bin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you sure it is not a twist lid? Ours have to be turned a bit to secure them under several bumps in the plastic.
    I used one of the daleks for forcing rhubarb on the allotment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it actually says push fit on the label, and there are no bumpy bits sadly

      Delete
  6. Just as well the bins took off in daytime and you were able to rescue them! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a vole that visits the compost bin in the winter months. He rearranges things and I have even seen him occasionally!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!