Monday 5 August 2024

Floating Flowers

 

Jess and Rosie were with us on Friday afternoon. Following her trip to UCL two weeks ago, Jess is still fired up by the idea of science, and said she wanted to do a science experiment. So I did this one with her




I made up a little story as we decorated the flowers and bugs, about how the bug snuggled into the petals and fell asleep, then the petals closed up for the night [we have talked about this before and the whole daisy = day's eye thing] And then the wind blew the flower onto a puddle and the next morning...
As the bottom of the flower gets wet, the water soaks in and makes the fibres swell, so the petals open slowly and gently as if by magic. It is a super little experiment and so easy. We made 4 flowers&bugs, and after trying out the first two, the family were called to observe, and make their predictions . I share it with you in case you have any littl'uns to amuse this summer!
Our first experiment, making a water filled plastic bottle spin round did not work well at all! This one needs more work! [Grandma should have tried it out beforehand I think]

UPDATE in the comments below, Alison mentions Kusudama flowers. These are a little more complicated, better suited to adults and older children. The link is here KUSUDAMA



17 comments:

  1. That's a nice little experiment for the youngsters. BTW I want to thank you for introducing me to Kusudama (sp) flower making. From your blog feature I've done them in the small craft group I help with. I've taught one of my sisters how to make them and she runs a community craft group who will have a flower making session soon and also I've shared the new found knowledge with my youngest sister who is currently in Bolivia with her church, she'll be making the flowers with women and young people there ❤️🌸🌼
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison, how exciting to realise there are people folding flowers everywhere! I'll put a link on this post to the Kusudama instructions

      Delete
    2. 😍😘
      Alison x

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this Angela :-) we have two young grandchildren to stay for mid August. Bet the girls had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s a great experiment for young people to try and also a good lesson on the experiment that didn’t work. Science is fun with a grandma like you. Our craft group loves kusadama flowers and we will make some in winter/ Christmas colours in November classes. Thanks for the reminder. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The possibilities are endless! I have seen them with the petal edges dipped in (eco friendly) glitter, and with button centres. I mostly recycle old books, but have some outdated maps which I may work with before I run a workshop in October.

      Delete
  4. That is a lovely experiment for the girls. Keep encouraging that love of science, it helps in so many aspects of life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great experiment I used to do involves a glass bowl or tank of cold water, and a small glass bottle, preferably with a fairly narrow neck, of hot coloured water. Dark colours are easier to see. Carefully lower small hot bottle into large cold tank, covering opening of small bottle if you can. Then watch...magic! I love the flowers experiment; might try that just for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might try this later. Water experiments are best done outside in the garden, I think!

      Delete
  6. I love that this experiment combines science and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a fun grandma! Jess looks so cute in her outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely experiment! Kezzie xx

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!