Saturday 31 August 2024

Cover Story - Umbel Pie

Two definitions
UMBEL a cluster of small flowers on short spreading stems that come from the same point and form a shape similar to an open umbrella:.
PIE a confused mass of printers' type; leading to pie – a food dish with miscellaneous contents
I'm fascinated by umbelliferous flowers - on fabric, in the fields...I have a favourite teatowel and a skirt  decorated with these blossoms.
And recently I picked up an Indian Woodblock in a CS. 
It became my inspiration for the July stitching, although I did not want to get ink on it!


So I traced the design, then found some sky blue polycotton. I taped the tracing paper to the window, with the fabric on top, then copied the umbel with a vanishing pen. 
Firsty I stitched horizontal running stitch lines in a variegated blue/white perl
é thread. Then the sun in a golden shade. Next, two shades of green for the grass - lightest at the foreground, and darkest at the horizon, and alternating rows of running stitch in between. Finally black backstitched stems, and each ended with a French knot.

A Norfolk summer skyline...

18 comments:

  1. How lovely, you clever girl. I too love umbelliferous flowers, patterns even the word. The fabrics are really stylish. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Laura Howard's 2009 design "dandelion clocks" produced by Sanderson. My SIL gave me a pair of the teatowels. Very reminiscent of Lucien Day's 1951 Festival of Britain prints.

      Delete
  2. That is so lovely Ang, really gorgeous work. I have been fond of these flowers for sewing projects, so satisfying. I am coveting your gorgeous Indian woodblock, such a brilliant find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pondering on other uses for it...

      Delete
    2. Get some airdry clay and print into it? Make a soap dish?x

      Delete
  3. Very pretty, and lots and lots of stitches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many stitches (esp if you include my practice piece)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Michael Portillo was in Norfolk on his new prog during the week .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Missed that, will check it outl

      Delete
  5. What a lovely picture you sewed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely stitching, I really like how you designed the grass. Queen Anne's Lace is a favourite flower for me. Now I know it is umbelliferous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Queen Anne's Lace - but in Leicestershire it goes by the old English name "Keck" which is much less beautiful sounding

      Delete
  7. I’m sitting drinking my coffee from a mug with an umbel design on it. Well done on another lovely design for the book cover. Glad Bob’s news was good but tell him to take care! Catriona

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!