Monday 19 August 2024

Saturday's Summer Songsters

Bob and I went into Norwich on Saturday to St Peter Mancroft Church [on the fourth corner of the square housing the Market, City Hall and The Forum Building] Every Saturday at 1pm, there is a free concert. I have wanted to attend one for ages, but never got round to it - and suddenly there was a free day and we could - so we did!

The Mancroft Music series is very diverse- soloists, ensembles, choirs - lots of organ stuff, and all types of music to suit all tastes. This weekend was the turn if The Wokingham Choral Society. 24 members of their group [60+ on the list] were doing a tour of East Anglian Venues.
Entitled "A Song for Summer" is was mostly John Rutter pieces, from his "Sprig of Thyme" suite based on British Folk Songs - but halfway through we had a lovely SaintSaens piece, on the larger of the two church organs

It was delightful. I recognised some titles on the programme - The bold Grenadier, The Keel Row, I know where I'm going, Now is the month of Maying etc - but "O can ye sew cushions?" was a new one. I looked forward to that - but when it came to it, I was not so keen!**
Then we went back to the Forum where the African Market was in full swing. Glorious Wax Print tops and dresses, smells of delicious foods, and cheerful music resounding round the space, dancers, choirs and bands having fun in the sun







Bob bought some Jolloff Rice Paste . Then we went into the Millennium Library and both selected a pile of craft books [his woodwork, mine needlework] 
Then we came home and sat in the summerhouse with long cool drinks and relaxed and read them! What a lovely day we'd had.

** To be fair, the conductor did explain the song was a lullaby, by Robert Burns, and therefore contains "baby talk" I made little sense of it at the time, and having come home and looked it up, I am still no wiser. Catriona, Ann and other friends north of the border - do you know this one??

O can ye sew cushions? And can ye sew sheets?
And can ye sing ballooloo when the bairn greets?
And hee and haw birdie, and hee and haw lamb;
And hee and haw, birdie, my bonnie wee lamb!

Heeo, weeo, what wou'd I do wi' you?
Black's the life that I lead wi' you;
Mony o' ye, little for to gie you.
Heeo, weeo, what wou'd I do wi' you?

I biggit the cradle upon the treetop,
And aye as the wind blew, my cradle did rock.
O hush a baw baby, o ba lil li loo,
And hee and baw, birdie, my bonnie wee doo.

Heeo, weeo, what wou'd I do wi' you?
Black's the life that I lead wi' you;
Mony o' ye, little for to gie you.
Heeo, weeo, what wou'd I do wi' you?


22 comments:

  1. What a delightful day. I would love that market.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely Saturday! That is a very interesting lullaby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tune was better than the words 🎢

      Delete
  3. I love John Rutter's music. It sounds as though there was quite a mix of songs. Lovely to have a Cathedral concert, Truro does Tuesday lunchtime concerts too, and I always mean to go but somehow havent yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know JR's Christmas music, but this was all new to me

      Delete
  4. What a super day out especially as you both found craft books to borrow. Burns didn’t actually write the song but gathered it for an anthology of music. Listen to Jean Redpath’s version online and you will hear the harassed woman with too many children trying to sing her baby to sleep while she gets on with her chores. You’ll also recognise “Hush a bye baby on the tree top” as she puts the baby’s crib in the tree so that it will rock in the breeze. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for the added info - i just knew that you would know the full story!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely day. When I worked in London I used to go to free concerts at the church of St. Mary Le Bow in Cheapside, they were wonderful and often featured well known guest artists all for free. The African market looked fabulous, I love the wax print materials. The Scottish lullaby is a poser! Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wax print fabrics are stunning, such glorious designs and colours

      Delete
  6. That reminds me of "Balulalow" by Peter Warlock, which is a lullaby for the baby Jesus. The last lines are "The knees of my heart shall I bow, and sing that richt Balulalow."
    I know greeting in that context is crying.
    Sounds like a lovely day.
    Lynn P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, another composer to check out!

      Delete
  7. The tunes of nursery rhymes are often sweeter than the words. I knew the tune from the Benjamin Britten books of folksongs, hadn't thought of them for decades. I do love this tune.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely day you had! Of the lullaby, the third verse is similar to Rock-a-bye-Baby, and it seems to fit the tune. I wonder if it's a variation of that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a thought - many of these songs have variations in different locations e.g. UK Ring a ring a rosies and the USA version are similar but not quite the same

      Delete
  9. What a fantastic day, that African Market looks so colourful and fun. Some of the wax fabrics are beautiful aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They must have sung that lullaby specially for you because you can certainly sew cushions and sheets and all kinds of other useful and decorative things. You'll just have to remember to sing a bit of "ballooloo" while you are at the sewing machine! 🎼🐦‍⬛πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never understood why you would balance a baby's crib atop a tree!! Didn't recognise the poem as one of Burns' but can translate most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds a lovely concert! My friend Alex used to be director of Wokingham Choral Society (he was organist at my church). They are a good choir. I like the choice of music. Balulow, mentioned above, is a lovely carol! Peter Warlock wrote the famous Capriol Suite which you may recognise.

    Funnily enough, I was only playing John Rutter an hour ago! CBC and I played through his Suite Antique for solo flute, strings and harpsichord here at Music Camp. Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!