Monday 9 September 2024

A Night On The Tiles

 Actually not a night, just a morning. Last Monday our craft group had a visit from the wonderful Fehmi Göhkeş, a local mosaic artist who helped us to make our own mosaic tiles.He had some lovely blue tiles which he had made

He explained we were each going to make a 10cm square tile - beginning with a base of wood, we would use tile adhesive to fix a central smaller square 

tile, then add others around it. 
He had loads of plastic trays of different coloured stones, tiles, chips of glass and shards of seashells.


I chose a central blue tile, and 8 small mosaics to go round it. I filled in the gaps with tiny pebbles in blues, greys, lilacs, and a brown colour. My friends were making similar choices. Everything had to be filled and covered with grouting and taken home to dry, 24 hours later, we could sponge off the excess. Here is my finished tile..
The light makes that bottom tile look white, but it is the same gorgeous iridescent blue as the other three corner tiles. I am delighted with my first attempt.
The creations on Fehmi's website are beautiful. 
Fehmi is Turkish and lives near Norwich with his English wife, also an artist. 
A very happy Monday Morning!
My experience until now has been simple strips of tiles in bathrooms or kitchens - nothing this creative!
Have you ever done any mosaic or tiling ?


20 comments:

  1. I've never tried mosaic making. It looks really fun. What will you use your tile for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. Not really level enough for a coaster. And apparently the grouting is not weatherproof. I had hoped to put it on the wall outside, next to my Black Dog terracotta plaques

      Delete
    2. Perhaps grout sealant would protect the tile for outside use/display? Or put it in a sheltered area? Peggy

      Delete
    3. I hadn't considered grout sealant. Good idea!

      Delete
  2. What a fun project! I had an aunt who used to make wall murals with broken pieces of china (plates, cups, etc.), but I have never done anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried tiling not mosaics but I think I would love to try. Your tile is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was surprisingly easy, and with practice I think one could achieve lovely results

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous and what a lovely way to spend a Monday morning. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crafting is good, crafting with friends is better!

      Delete
  5. Your mosaic is lovely. I've never done this. It looks like a fun activity to do with a group. I'm doing a "zentangle" drawing class this Thursday evening. It's looks like doodles and I think it'll be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never done anything like this. Looks most enjoyable and is very pretty.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tile looks lovely. What a great morning you had.
    We used mini tiles to cover the tops of some of our bathroom units to make them more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some broken crockery, mostly blue and white, that I have intended to use to do some mosaic work, but the years go by and I still haven't done it. I love your tile, what a great workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great activity to do and the outcome is beautiful! I've always wanted to have a go at Mosaicing and bought a book about it but the closest I've ever got to it was making some mosaic cards out of card tiles I cut from recycled packaging etc. I cut about 2000 tiles more and did it aa a craft activity at our church holiday club, Whizzbang! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2000 tiles! I remember holiday club crafts like that

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!