Tuesday 24 September 2024

Wilde Thoughts

My father introduced me to the words and wit of Oscar Wilde when I was still in primary school. Beginning with The Importance Of Being Earnest [A Handbag?!? and To lose one parent... etc] and moving on through The Happy Prince and the Selfish Giant [which I find so moving] and The Ideal Husband. And as I got older, I read the "darker" stuff like Dorian Gray and The Ballad of Reading Gaol. Dad felt Wilde was a gifted writer who had been cruelly treated - his treatment in prison contributing to his early death.
In 2006 on our motorbike holiday in Ireland, I sat and chatted to him in Galway.
This is part of a sculpture by Estonian artist Tiiu Kirsipuu, and was given to the people of Galway in 2004 .
There are are couple of other famous memorial statues to Wilde. The first was unveiled in Dublin in 1997 and financed by the Guinness Company, and created by English sculptor Danny Osborne.
It is amazingly colourful, marble alone was deemed inadequate- it also contains green nephrite  [Canada] blue pearl granite and pink thulite [both from  Norway] and black ch
arnockite [India] It is located near his childhood home
There were mixed reactions - many felt it made too much of Wilde's homosexuality. In 1998, Maggi Hambling's "Conversation with Oscar Wilde" was unveiled in Westminster, London.. It is made of green granite and shows Wilde's head and torso emerging from a coffin, a cigarette in his hand. The artist based it on the anecdote that just prior to his demise, Wilde told a friend 
"I dreamed I was at dinner, dining and chatting with the dead" So here you can sit on his coffin and chat with him! [I have to say I prefer Galway's bench - and Dublin's chap does remind me of  a slimmer Stephen Fry ]  
Mervyn Holland, Wilde's grandson is happy with all these three representations. 
BUT there's a new one about to be revealed in Chelsea, and this has definitely divided opinions already. Eduard Paolozzi's design also made the final shortlist for the 1998 statue. EP died in 2005, and this year is the centenary of his birth. Paolozzi lived and worked in Chelsea for over 40 years, and Wilde also lived in the borough. The Paolozzi Foundation have decided to mark this by having the 1998 Wilde design made up and installed on Dovehouse Green. 
There was an initial objection that you cannot put a statue of a gay man on what was formerly a burial ground, and is still 'consecrated land' [even though it is now a public park]. The Church Consistory Court overruled this ['he was not that good an author' 'the council does not spend money wisely''Wilde was gay' were all considered invalid objections] More to the point, Mervyn Holland says it is 'absolutely hideous' failing to convey his wit and brilliance - 'anyone contemplating it will more likely think of Wilde's tragic end than the joy of his writing'. 
It is a vast bronze head, segmented, lying on its side. "A man who was decapitated by society" Personally I think it is ghastly, and I can see why Dame Judi Dench and the rest of the committee rejected this back in the nineties" What do you think of it? 
In the preface to Dorian Gray, Wilde says this - was he right?


10 comments:

  1. I have sat on that very bench - our eldest daughter lives in Galway. I don’t agree with the quote from Dorian Gray but the latest Wilde sculpture might reinforce that view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I disagree with the DG quote. William Morris advised against possessing things which one did not "know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" I feel that this sculpture does not pass that test.

      Delete
  2. The new statue is creepy! I have stood next to the Dublin one and re member it. I like it.
    I really like the Selfish giant. My friends wrote a children's opera based on it and it was really moving and had gorgeous tunes that I can still remember 22years on from when I played it!
    Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely theme for a children's opera 🎢😊

      Delete
  3. I don't 'hate' it but I do prefer all the others. And I have never agreed with his quote that 'All art is quite useless.' If it even brings a smile or makes you think more then it has served some purpose. And of course the beautiful things can light up a life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, it is a quote from a character in his book, OW himself did not necessarily believe it . Beauty, in many forms, truly does bring joy to life

      Delete
  4. I’m with William Morris and also disagree with DG. Words fail me about the new Oscar Wilde statue! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very weird sculpture - meaningless unless you know the reason.
    I learned all I know about OW from the Gyles Brandreth crime fiction books he wrote a few years ago featuring OW and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't know them. Mind you I may have seen them in the library and ignored them.because I am not fond of Mr Brandreth!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!