Saturday 7 September 2024

Jolly Jollof

 Did you know that World Jollof Rice Day was celebrated on August 22nd? We missed it too! Jollof is a one pot dish, of rice, spices, meat and veg - it was first served in the Wolof Empire*, which covered modern day Senegal, Gambia and Mauritania - but now most countries in West Africa have their own version of the recipe. It is ten years since Jamie Oliver got into trouble demonstrating his own recipe on TV - despite the varied versions from the different countries, his was deemed definitely inauthentic!
In Norwich at the Summer Market the other week, Bob bought a jar of jollof paste from Shirley, an enthusiastic Londoner who is bringing her family's spice blend to the table, making it easy for everyone to put together a pot of jollof.

He cooked the rice with the paste, adding in onions, beans, carrots and some leftover chicken. It was very tasty [and not too hot for my sensitive taste buds] 

*Spelt Wolof, it is pronounced Jollof. The empire lasted from 14th-16th centuries. Maps below show the location then and now!




10 comments:

  1. Oooh-that sounds delicious and like you, I can’t eat anything too spicy. As my sense of smell/ taste hasn’t recovered from Covid in April, I too am always sniffing things to see if I can enjoy them. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Bob would make things much spicier of he were not preparing food for me to eat!

      Delete
  2. I've not tried it!! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make it vegetarian if you do not want to add meat

      Delete
  3. Fascinating information, it's a very economical dish isn't it, even a little bit of meat goes a long way. Poor Jamie is often slated for being 'inauthentic', but I usually find his substitutions work really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As with many 'traditional' dishes, I think the quantity of meat included would depend on the wealth/poverty of the cook. But I like one pot dishes which can be easily extended with more rice or veg

      Delete
  4. I learned another new thing from your blog! It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a Nigerian roommate when I was in college and she used to make Jollof. Glad you enjoyed Bob's version of it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!