Saturday 14 September 2024

Holey, Holey, Holy...

On September 6th, I was really excited to have obtained a ticket for a special HODS event at Norwich Cathedral. Along with a dozen others we gathered at 10am and were taken upstairs to "The Pryor's Hall" where the Broderers' Guild meets to do their amazing repair and restoration work on ecclesiastical textiles.
Helen Johnson, who lead the Guild gave us a wonderful talk, showing examples of their work. The group has been going for about 25 years, and as well as hangings, altarpieces and robes [for clergy and choir] at the Cathedral, they do renovations for churches across the diocese, and right across the country.

This amazing chasuble comes from a church in central London and is a century old. The embroidery is almost Art Deco in style. There is a somewhat sad story behind it - 
There was a 'society' wedding, all very glamorous -the bride wore a stunning  ivory silk gown, and many gemstone. Then tragically, the bride was killed in a car accident, on her honeymoon. Her family donated the gown and the gems to the church, asking that some sort of priestly robes be made in her memory. Hence this chasuble.
But 100 years on, the silk has started to disintegrate. The team have relined the garment with especially dyed cotton fabric, and sandwiched the silk between that and monofilament conservation net. There are hours of work necessary to stitch round the motifs, thus holding the three layers safely together and making the garment wearable again.
If you look carefully at the bottom left you can see an area under the sun rays where the silk has almost disappeared. The net, once in place, is virtually invisible.
This is an amazing church hanging, from Victorian times, but being restored to its former glory. 
I was in awe of their tiny stitches, their meticulous attention to details, and the wonderful, peaceful atmosphere of the sewing room. 
The ladies work with highest quality fabrics and threads - conservation next costs around £50 a metre! Asked about costs, Helen told us "We give an estimate for the work, based on a figure per square inch
Bearing in mind that they sit round a table 8 foot by 4 foot, which holds an average altar cloth quite nicely - that's over 4500 sq. in.!!!
When I did my Advent stitching last year, the hardest part was working with the silver thread. Helen said her team do not find the gold and silver threads easy either! For the regular colours, she says they find Gutermann the most reliable.
My pictures did not come out too well, so I was really pleased to find this YouTube clip all about the Guild. It shows things far better than I can

I so wished all my sewing friends could have been with me for the HODS event - especially Kirsten - it was a mindblowing experience! Being a nonconformist Rev, Bob's never really had any amzing ecclesiastical garments. Unless you count his Noah's Ark Waistcoat which I made him years ago for a Family Service...




 

25 comments:

  1. Thank you for the link to the video. A real labor of love to repair and restore the items, I'm sure. Bob's vest looks great, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the UK, vest and pants are names for undergarments!

      Delete
  2. I would love to have been with you to see this wonderful work. I saw the conservation of a Sultan’s jacket on The Repair Shop on Wednesday and I was intrigued by the curved needle being used. Bob’s waistcoat is a garment of joy and well done to you for all the patience involved in making it❤️ Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spotted that curved needle too. They are used for extra control when you cannot get your hand behind the fabric to support it as you work. Hence they are used by surgeons in theatre (also by wigmakers, upholsterers and bookbinders)

      Delete
  3. What fine embroidery and repair work. Oh to have good enough eyesight to manage work of that calibre. The video is very good thank you. It was a wonderful day for you. I think Bob's waistcoat is joyful. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The attention to detail is incredible.I am so glad I discovered the video to share here

      Delete
  4. What an amazing day. I would loved to have been there. The care and attention to detail is phenomenal. You do a fantastic job with Bob's Noah's Ark waistcoat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did I lose the comment, or publish it?! I'll start again. When I was at College I was part of a team that designed and made a new altar frontal for chapel. Because the chapel was in the round it was in fact an altar frontal and backal! I was only really allowed to do minor tasks like sewing on myriad grapes. But I was really proud of what we had created. Kirsten mentioned, and I bought and read, the book "A Single Thread" by Tracey Chevalier. I think you would really enjoy it - it should be in the library, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your first comment finished mid sentence, but second one was complete! Lovely to be part of a collaborative piece like that. I really must check out the TC book

      Delete
  7. I've watched conservation work on television documentaries and YouTube. To see it 'for real' is amazing. The skill is extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do admire anyone who can do those tiny neat stitches. It must be so satisfying to repair something that was once so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those needles remind me of the ones my Gran used to sew lengths of carpet together after the fitters had been in, apparently they came in 12ft lengths then. She worked for John Lewis from 1947 as she had been widowed and we had many patchwork rugs as she bought home all the offcuts. Hugs Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think what is fascinating is that the Broderers are working on items that others have worked on so many years ago. I wonder if they think of those early broderers as they carefully stitch in their place?
    Love the Noah's Ark Waistcoat. Who says ecclesiastical garments can't be fun, too?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love Bob's Noah's Ark waistcoat. I hope he has lots more chances to wear it to illustrate a talk. Nicky K

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting opportunity! It's lovely to hear that there are people doing such repairs. The work is beautiful!
    Bob's waistcoat is so JOYFUL! You are clever! I'm also pleased to see you have one female and male lion as I've seen several images where lions end up both being male which would have meant No More lions!😁 Kx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing and skilled job the ladies of the Broderer's Guild are doing in restoring all those textiles to their former glory. It must have been very special to hear about their work and see the tiny stitches.
    Bob looks great in his Noah's ark waistcoat. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely experience to visit the workshop

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!