Thursday 5 September 2024

Texture, Textile, Text

I love the fact that the word text has the same root as textile and texture - they all come from the Latin textus, 'to weave' . So books about fabric must be text-text
Last month I acquired three such books. One was passed on by a friend, one was 50p in a NT bookshop, and one was £6 from Greener books.
Reviews in reverse order
Having loved the Haberdashery shop Bob discovered for me in Paris, I was intrigued to find The Mason Sajou book in our library. [the Sajou shop is based in Versailles ]And I loved it so much, that I felt I would like my own copy. There is a lovely review here so I will not repeat what is said there - check out Kim's words and illustrations. It has 20 lovely projects, with excellent instructions for different techniques, and creative ways to use stitching. My first purchase from Greener Books, a company committed to recycling books. This was the cheapest 2nd hand online copy I could find, and I was pleased with the prompt delivery and excellent quality. Watch this space, as I plan to make up at least one of these ideas soon..*****

28 fresh designs influenced by ceramics, fabrics, and folk embroidery. Helen Turvey recreates designs of English ceramicist William DeMorgan,  French Toiles de Jouy textiles, and Scandinavian and Northern European folk art . Designs for decorative and useful items for the home, of for gifts.. Great instructions and charts – cleverly using different shades of red thread. It is a step further on than the Mueller samplers  that I used to inspire a section of last year's collaboration with Kirsten. But If I can find appropriate Toile, I may use it in this year's CoverStory. Another *****

Finally this one. Kirsten included it as a flat gift with the last parcel. Which was interesting as I had seen it mentioned online She and I have since discussed it, and found ourselves broadly in agreement. The principle is a good one - if you are dress making, be as efficient as you can when cutting the fabric, so avoid senseless waste. In practice, this is not so easy to implement. Advice like "avoid stripes, directional patterns, velvets" and "boiled wool is about the best" is somewhat limiting if you want a pretty summer dress, or a special evening gown.  Cutting 6 identical 'kangaroo' pockets which can be tessellate dinto one strip with no waste at all is fine - if you want 6 identical garments in the same size and fabric. But unless you are manufacturing for a shop or dressing the women from the workhouse, this is not helpful.Sadly although the book has lots of hand-drawn diagrams, there are no clear photographs or pictures of any finished garments on the wearers.
For proper patterns and projects you have to buy Liz's other book - but looking at the projects in that, I do not know I would want to wear many of them, however Z-W, earth friendly they were [I have a Moebius scarf] That book is £28. 
Having said all that - "A Year of ZWSewing" comprises 12 sections - each one with a concept [fastenings, gussets, historical clothes etc] a guest piece from another ZW designer [across the globe - Australia to USA, via Sweden, France, NZ etc] and an "Ask Lizzy" spot. I did like the little anecdotes - eg Did you know George Lucas specified that none of the Star Wars costumes should have zips or buttons ? Apparently they do not exist in his galaxy far, far away! 
For all my negative comments, I must say this book was the most challenging, and very thought provoking. Liz is not keen on people using the odd leftover bits for embellishing garments [thus ensuring nothing is wasted] - my approach would be I cannot avoid having this piece left if I cut a circular neckline - so in what other project can it be used? I am giving this ***. It might have had 4* but for one thing which Kirsten commented on and I completely agree - it has a really weird cover surface.Sort of ... waxy. We both found it genuinely unpleasant to hold! I could not read it in bed for that reason! If it is to stay, I shall have to make a cover for it!!
I have borrowed many sewing books from the library in the past week or so. When asked at church if Bob is resting properly, I said that he is spending most afternoons sitting in the lounge reading - and I keep him company, also reading [or sewing] "How good of you to give up your time to do that!" was the response. I had to explain it was not a chore. I love being together, and furthermore, will grab any excuse to avoid housework to stitch or to read!!

19 comments:

  1. I'm all for it Angela, such a pleasant way to pass the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸͺ‘πŸ’™πŸͺ‘πŸ’™πŸͺ‘πŸ’™

      Delete
  2. Interesting reviews! Your texture comment made me laugh as I'm quite sensitive about the feel and texture of certain materials so I fancy I'd dislike it too! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the look of the French book. The craft sections at my local libraries are the first places I head for whenever I visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delightful. Do check out the Mason Sajou website, lots of ideas and free projects, as well as (rather expensive) products to buy

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the book reviews. My mother would give me all the leftover fabric from her sewing and I would use them for patchwork. I still have a few pieces of fabric leftover from her sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mum didnt sew, but I have lots of pieces of her fabrics (dresses, sheets, table linens) incorporated into bedspreads & other household linens

      Delete
  5. I have Maison Sajou envy. Thank you for the reviews. Some new books have odd textured book covers that feel tacky, if dust jackets I take them off to read as I dislike the feel, but if on the actual book cover it puts me off somewhat. I wonder why this is done? I love the painting of the girl reading at the end of your post. She looks so serene. I am glad Bob is resting and thereby you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do check out the website. The painting is Fragonard's La Liseuse [The Reader] painted in 1770, it is in the National Gallery in Washington. I had a postcard of this on my wall in my student years!

      Delete
  6. Any excuse to sit and read is a good one, and keeping Bob company is a very good one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any excuse to sit and read, stitch or knit is fine by me! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maison sajou...note and on my 'to investigate ' list !

    ReplyDelete
  9. How strange that someone would think you "give up your time" to sit and read or stitch while keeping Bob company! Times like this, though enforced by circumstances, are a gift, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "keeping company" with others is a privilege imho

      Delete
  10. I’m not a dressmaker but have been a quilter for over 50 years so a lot of tiny scraps hanging around. I still make baby quilts and any tiny pieces that are no good I snip up and eventually make into cushion filling, it takes a while but I have filled several 16” square cushions . I’m a great believer in not wasting anything, time, money or fabric, it can all be used wisely. I love the domestic scene of you both reading in the afternoons, I live alone but it sounds wonderful to have that companionship where you don’t have to talk all the time. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in process of making some more mice, and accumulating a scrap bag of tiny soft felt bits. I may use them to stuff pincushions

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!