Thursday 17 July 2008

Purer, and higher, and greater will be...

And you and the Levites and the aliens among you shall rejoice in all the good things the LORD your God has given to you and your household [Deuteronomy 26:11]

The Lord has truly given us many good things today - not least the energy to keep going! It's been a wet and miserable sort of day, and singing my heart out at the service at another of the OAP homes didn't help my sore throat. I decided we needed warming, comfort food for tea. So I made a Red Lentil and Butternut Squash Dahl adapting a recipe I ripped out of a magazine weeks ago, which has been languishing in the kitchen for a while. [I think Bob must have expressed a desire to have some lentils when we were in Sainsburys at one point, because I had a new packet in the cupboard] dahl

RED LENTIL & BUTTERNUT SQUASH DAHL

prep time 15 min, cooking time 30min, serves 2**

2 tsp olive oil

1 onion finely chopped

½ tsp ground ginger

½ tsp cinnamon

1tsp turmeric

2 garlic cloves peeled, chopped

½ red pepper chopped

5oz split red lentils

1 small butternut squash, peeled, cut in 1" cubes

1 pint vegetable stock

  1. Heat oil, sweat onion, garlic, and pepper 5 mins
  2. Add spices, stir well, stir in lentils, squash and stock
  3. Bring to boil,  reduce heat, simmer 25 mins till squash is tender
  4. Serve with rice.

**Except these quantities were way too much for us - and we only ate about 60% - will probably serve the rest tomorrows with some chicken bits from the freezer. Maybe the recipe was allowing for Levites and aliens with big appetites.

We sang To God be The Glory at Portland House. The version in the book this afternoon ended with 'rapture' - not 'transport' or 'worship'. If I knew how, I would set up a blog-poll for people to state which is their favourite last line for this hymn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!