Sunday 18 September 2011

Un Oeuf Is As Good As A Feast

DSCF2116

One egg, lying in the bottom of my wire chicken. Except it is not a real egg! It is an amazingly lifelike model, made of what feels like very heavy rubber. It was lying at the bottom of our drive, in front of the garage door back in July. We have no idea where it came from. Laid by a rubber chicken which was passing, do you think?

I suspect it is one of those ‘dummy’ ones which people who keep chickens use to encourage them to lay. Most of the time this egg is at the bottom of the basket, covered by a dozen or more fresh, free range ones. It is hard to tell which is the ‘dummy’ when the basket is full. You soon know when you take it out and try to crack it!

They have just published the UK edition of this book…

dummies chickens

When I retire to Cornerstones, I am planning to raise chickens. The idea of wandering out in the morning with a little basket and finding a warm fresh egg for breakfast is so appealing! And fresh eggs are a wonderful gift – as a child I was always fascinated when farming friends took me to the hen house to find an egg.

“Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

2 comments:

  1. As I write here I can hear Ernest, our cockerel crowing round the garden. It is indeed a lovely thing to eat your own hen's eggs. Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll love having chickens. They are so inquisitive and funny. Their antics never fail to make me laugh. And they give eggs as well. They are a real blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!