Saturday 3 April 2021

Do You Know Libby?

 ...said Bob. And I guessed he wasn't referring to my Kiwi friend in Wanganui, whose husband was at College with Bob, and whose daughter was one week older than Liz. Libby who? I replied, and he explained it is a Library App, enabling you to access online many books from your local library.

If you know all this already, then feel free to go and do something else. But I'm afraid I was slow to find out about this, and this past week I've got rather hooked! 

I am not sure why I've not checked this out before. I knew that Dorset and Norfolk libraries [I'm currently a member of both] had online borrowing facilities, but I had not used them. But with all but three of my books packed [a small Bible, and two books of bedtime stories to read to Rosie] I've really enjoyed discovering Libby. You just install the app, and then you can explore the thousands of books on offer. [over 36K titles - including magazines]

It is free and the site is very easy to navigate. [Watch a tutorial here] There is lots of fiction [sorted by genre] and a huge range of non fiction, including many craft & cookery books. I love flicking through these, to see if there are projects or recipes worth trying - and I've enjoyed doing this over the past few days. The first day, I got through a dozen craft books, skim reading them, looking at the pictures - and returned them within 10 minutes of borrowing. But my tablet keeps a log of them all, so I can always return and re-borrow if I want to [a full loan is for 14 days, then the book 'disappears'] 

During lockdown this is so useful. And at 10pm when I want something to read and 'wind down' with, I appreciate the convenience [although I am still wrestling with the issue of 'late night screen time can affect sleep patterns'] 



The two books I have kept out for Rosie are these. 

Both rather old and tattered. They have mostly words and few pictures, but that's fine. Rosie is very good at closing her eyes and imagining. Bob's not so keen on MMM - so I read those on the evenings when he is happily at Zoom meetings with the Deacons [no more of those in retirement] 

The Play School stories are varied in quality - but there are some gems in there. It was good to read a Michael Rosen tale about a magpie. [Rosie loves Bear Hunt.] We could talk about the fact that MR was ill last year but was better now. 

Do you borrow online library books? 

Are you a Kindle person? 

Or does it have to be a 'proper' book, with paper pages to turn, and a bookmark to keep your place?

And do you know Libby?










12 comments:

  1. I live in Manchester. The online library app in this part of the world is called Borrow Box and is excellent not only for books but also for audio books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd not heard of Borrow Box (see comment below too) I'm afraid I often fall asleep if I sit and listen to an audio book

      Delete
  2. I rely on my kindle, partly as there is very limited room on the boat and partly because I can increase the font size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes a lot of sense Hester. The ability to increase font size is very useful

      Delete
  3. I still have my tatty childhood MMM books, much loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stories are just the right length for a bedtime read. Thrilled to report that Rosie is now at the stage of trying to read everything because she realises she can make sense of the words by herself

      Delete
  4. Some library services use BorrowBox/Bolinda rather than Libby but it is the same principle.

    I’m a longtime lurker and wish you and Bob a blessed Easter Day, a smooth Moving Day, a long and happy retirement, and the opportunity to return to Dorset for a proper farewell to your church family at some time in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LL for your kind words. There are plans afoot for a return trip late summer if the rules allow. I'm finding it so hard to say goodbye onscreen, without hugs!

      Delete
  5. My library (in US) has had online access for a number of years through OverDrive and another app called Hoopla. OverDrive allows me to take out eight books or audiobooks at a time--three week lending period, but can return as soon as read. Hoopla allows eight books/audiobooks/movies/etc. a month. Unlimited access for magazines. Libby app was just added, but it basically is the same as OverDrive (hard to keep up with them all). But very grateful for the service as it has save me thousands of dollars over the years. The audiobooks have a timer you can set, too, so if I listen to one at bedtime, I know it will go off and if I don't remember where the story line left off, I only have to back up a bit to catch up. Libraries are one of our greatest assets.

    Wishing you and Bob a blessed and Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for this info Mary - I had not heard of OverDrive or Hoopla. I like the idea of a timer on the audio books though

      Delete
  6. I am afraid I don't know Libby! My library over here has Hoopla. I tried it a couple of times, but, it was difficult for me to read on my phone. Instead, I've been reading some of the books I have at home.

    I wish you and Bob a very happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!