Thursday 22 April 2021

Merry Thoughts

Gradually we are getting straight. The bookcases are secured to the wall, and we spent all yesterday afternoon trying to decide what goes where.

In the Technology Room [Rosie's name for the room where the computers and electronic stuff is] We have theology books and Bible Commentaries, non fiction, reference books, craft books of all sorts, and cookbooks. These fill up two IKEA Billy bookcases. 


In the lounge is another Billy, full of our fiction collection - the bottom two shelves are children's books. The pre-move cull of DVDs and CDs means there is space on the narrow shelving unit for poetry books too.

In the bedroom is a very small bookcase holding Bob's Terry Pratchett collection - and we are keeping the top shelf clear for "library and other borrowed books"

It does feel a little strange to only have about 25% of the books we used to have - but we have the ones we use a lot for reference, and the fiction we enjoy reading again and again. And none went in the bin - they were given to friends, and theology students, or sold to Ziffit [and just a few to charity shops]

Rosie is still having a WhatsApp bedtime story. She's ecstatic that her local library has re opened, and now she is five she qualifies fir her own library ticket. Access to books certainly fills us with cheer, and merry thoughts. 

I cooked a chicken a couple of days ago, and stripped all the meat from it, and used the carcase to make stock [ in the recently unpacked] slow-cooker. Did you know that that the V-shaped bone at the sternum is called the furcula but it's also called the wishbone or the merrythought ? The furcula is formed by the fusion of the two clavicle [collarbone] and its strength helps the bird fly.

The ancient Etruscans thought this bone could be used to divine the future. 500 years ago in England people believed that if two people pulled it apart, the person with the larger piece would get their wish. And if two girls broke it, the winner would be the next to marry [sometimes it was called the marriage bone.] 

Words fascinate me, I'm grateful for all our books, and for all I've learned from them


16 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by that picture of Bob- are there two boxcases parallel to each other with a gap in between? If so, what is in the gap please?
    Well done for getting the books sorted so quickly! How many bookcases are there in total? It took me a while to get them sorted when we moved!
    I've not been to the library since last July when I returned my pre-lockdown library books. I would like to visit again. I also wish they would begin their Terracycle crisp packet collection/recycling programme again so I could dispose of the packets I've been saving for months. There aren't LOADS but there are some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a regular Billy with a smaller DVD/CD shelf beside it https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/gnedby-shelving-unit-white-40277143/
      When ALL the books are unpacked - I suspect there are a few odd ones in boxes - I shall count them & measure our shelf inches!

      Delete
  2. Most of my Billy bookcases are 29 years old! They have survived several house moves, are still in perfect condition and predate my current husband!
    Sadly they no longer make the 60 cm wide low one....I could do with another for a particular space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently in Sweden, there's a massive trade in 2nd hand Billies! (or is the plural "Billys"?)

      Delete
  3. Well done with the books and yes I couldn't resist the temptation to take a closer look to see what titles you had on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the HFW "Leftovers" very useful...oops, what a give away !!

      Delete
  4. I grew up in rural Australia and although my family had been there for 150 years, it was still a very 'english' upbringing and the wishbone was always pulled for good luck after a Sunday roast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many Australian families still follow English traditions. It gives a sense of continuity and connection, don't you think?

      Delete
  5. Do you use Wordsmith.org at all? This week's words aren't very interesting but sometimes they have real gems which brighten my in-box each morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't. Other friends have mentioned it. Perhaps I should check it out...

      Delete
  6. 500 years ago?! My sister and I were splitting wishbones between us in the late '40s and early '50s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob's late cousin had a massive collection of wishbones from a huge variety of different birds.

      Delete
  7. Pastor Bob(Rtr'd) looks very comfy in his reading corner.There's a new FB group which I've recently joined called the Buy Nothing Project.It's another freebie group which also promotes giving as well as taking. There are various groups in UK but you can only join the one in your specific area. You should check it out in case you need anymore bookcases! I've just scored a lovely highchair for the new grandson when he comes to visit (hopefully soon) and I'm giving away a huge non-stick frying pan (who knew there was such an absence of frying pans in my area, the response has been overwhelming!)and some tomato seedlings. That's just the start of the decluttering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were in the Ferndown Kindness Group - and disposed of lots of stuff there in recent weeks. Earlier I posted "removal boxes - free " on a local site here, and within minutes someone had been in touch about collecting them

      Delete
  8. Lovely to see all those neatly organized bookshelves! You've been busy getting those boxes unpacked!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!