Wednesday 22 June 2022

A Wind And A Prayer

The sun is shining, and it is lovely to be outside in the garden. When I took down all my patriotic bunting after the Jubilee, I decided to keep my newly made flags and hang them in the back garden for the summer, as they seem bright and nautical and not overly patriotic. Because I made them quickly, and didn't hem them, they have started to fray and fade already as they flap in the sunny summer breeze.



I went outside on Monday morning and noticed my neighbour's washing line - he had clearly laundered all his dusters and cleaning cloths and pegged them out



They reminded me of a row of colourful Tibetan Buddhist Prayer Flags fluttering in the breeze!

The traditional five colours used are
  • red [fire] 
  • green [water] 
  • yellow [earth] 
  • blue [sky/space]  
  • white [air/wind] 
Tibetans believe that as the flags blow in the wind, they will spread the good will into the all-pervading space, and bring benefit to all.
It is natural for these flags in the Himalayas to fade and fray - they are traditionally left unhemmed to enable this to happen, symbolic of the passing of all things.

As far as I am aware, my friendly neighbour is not a Buddhist - but I like the idea of our flapping displays promoting peace, compassion, strength and wisdom around the neighbourhood!

15 comments:

  1. That's a lovely idea! I like the idea of promoting peace and compassion too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of peace and goodwill flapping around in your neighborhood! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of flags promoting goodwill. If only it were like that here. Our national flag was "highjacked" by the "Freedom Convoy" and supporters in February, and now seeing it outside houses doesn't always mean that it is flown in celebration of our country on July 1st.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard when flags are misappropriated

      Delete
    2. It makes me sad too. They don't respect the flag as the ones I have seen are so tatty and shouldn't be flown.

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of the flags. They look so cheerful, I'd probably keep the dusters up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does he know you are checking out his clothes line? My late darling mother in law liked to see what her neighbour had on her line. The old order Mennonites around here put their unmentionables underneath other clothes they are hanging so no one sees them. I love the idea of those flags and what the colours mean. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marjorie - you did made me chuckle with your comment . lol !

      Delete
  6. I'm putting my Union Jack bunting up again for Armed Forces Day on Saturday . I have the Buddhist Prayer flags in my vegetable garden .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about Armed Forces Day, so I've just been looking at the website https://www.armedforcesday.org.uk/

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!