Wednesday 28 December 2022

A Range Of Meanings

I popped briefly into The Range to get a couple of washing up bowls - we have had a double sink in the kitchen for a year, and I really want a smart, matching pair of bowls. I did find them - but left without them, when I realised there were about 50 people in the queue and only two checkouts working! I was not prepared to wait that long...
However I did have a quick look at the Christmas decorations in the sale section. Just in case. But one item initially left me baffled - a bag of six "Christmas Sentiments" reduced to 45pBethere it says. 
That's not a word!
perhaps it should be Bet here[we sell lottery tickets]
or maybe Beth ‘ere[an Eastenders version of Little Women]
Bob says it is Be there[why would I want to be somewhere where they are no good at punctuation and grammar?] 
Mind you, I didn't realise till recently that many people in Wales actually call this store The ORaNGe, on the grounds that on the sign, it say 'The' and below it, the word 'Orange' starting with a capital O in an orange colour!
Perhaps these confused folk are connected with Welsh Max Boyce, whose catchphrase is "I was there!!" I suggest the company takes its 

Be theresigns to Cardiff, they might make more sales...








20 comments:

  1. I don't know if I'd consider "Be there" to be a Christmas sentiment in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather an odd thing to say, I agree.

      Delete
  2. How funny - my mum in law gave me a book for Christmas on how to make your own face creams etc. - printed by Amazon- done on the cheap, the words don't make any sense at all , I'm assuming it's a bad translation! Such a shame , she bought it with good intentions ,it's not even fit for a charity shop but will be in the recycling this week!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How unfortunate. I wonder how safe the "recipes" are if it is a poor translation. I'd hate to think of anyone putting something irritant (or worse) on their skin. You could always use the pages for origami or crafting purposes. I have a couple of old books set aside for that.

      Delete
  3. What an odd sentiment and I wonder how many were sold! Will need to venture to a food shop today as we need fresh veg. Tomorrow starts the tidying and decluttering again and I may just put the christmas decorations away too. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daughter #2 and family do not arrive till this afternoon, so dex here will remain in place till the weekend

      Delete
  4. Maybe it IS The Orange??? It looks like it now I'm Looking Again at the sign.
    Those signs are silly!! Grammar matters! You did the wise thing to avoid the queues! We are on our way home from Oxford- just dropping MiL back to Oxford station so she can get her train back to Hexham. CBC did ask me if I want to look round Oxford but it's rainy and I don't want to be in crowds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you've had a busy Christmas week, with lots of travelling, Kezzie. Hope MILs train runs OK. Safe journey home for you two, as well 👍❤️

      Delete
  5. 'Be there' is possibly the worst Christmas sentiment I have heard. I hate things that don't make sense, my poor little brain goes into overdrive trying to solve them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where is "there" anyway? BeWhere might be funnier - beware!

      Delete
  6. How very odd! I kept thinking maybe it had a meaning I didn't understand. Funny about the fact it's called Orange too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Be There' sounds a bit fierce to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am willing to bet that they didn't sell any of those! JanF

    ReplyDelete
  9. Certainly no surprise that it was left unsold in the sale section!
    We have a local Range store - it is huge (used to be a massive M&S experimental store that only lasted a couple of years before closing) and it has the same problem with nowhere near enough checkouts for the number of customers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess there is always room for one more weird sparkling sign if that's your thing! Not really surprising that they are reduced. I suspect they might eventually be reduced to the bin!
    It makes sense to refer to that store as "The Orange". We have air ambulance helicopters in our province that go by the name of "Ornge". Of course that has to be pronounced "Orange", usually with a French accent!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!