Saturday 17 December 2022

Seeing Red [Or Is It Pink?]

It's that time of year again - Pantone have released their latest Color-of-the-Year. Metaverse may have missed out on being word of the year but we have been presented with magentaverse by these experts in colour.
As usual, it comes with a description in rather florid language...
"Pantone’s Colour of the Year, Viva Magenta , vibrates with vim and vigour. It is a shade rooted in nature descending from the red family and expressive of a new signal of strength.  Viva Magenta , is brave and fearless, and a pulsating colour whose exuberance promotes a joyous and optimistic celebration, writing a new narrative.
It is powerful and empowering…a new animated red that revels in pure joy, encouraging experimentation and self-expression without restraint, an electrifying, and a boundaryless shade that is manifesting as a stand-out statement. Viva Magenta ,a welcomes anyone and everyone with the same verve for life and rebellious spirit. It is a colour that is audacious, full of wit and inclusive of all.
In this age of technology, we look to draw inspiration from nature and what is real.  Viva Magenta , ...is inspired by the red of cochineal, one of the most precious dyes belonging to the natural dye family as well as one of the strongest and brightest the world has known. Rooted in the primordial, Viva Magenta reconnects us to original matter. Invoking the forces of nature,  Viva Magenta ,galvanizes our spirit, helping us to build our inner strength."

So that's vim, vigour and verve! 
Fashion and lifestyle magazines have been enthusiastic. I suspect the Princess of Wales had a heads up, appearing a few weeks before the announcement in head to toe magenta shades
I don't think I have any magenta furnishings, and certainly do not plan on getting any. Cochineal beetles are utterly beautiful [Peru is now the largest producer of the carmine dye, the insects live on cactus plants and have to be harvested by hand]
I have just realised that my phone cover is a deep pinky red like Princess Katherine's trouser suit. That's fine then , I am bang on trend and have not had to buy anything new!!
Will Viva Magenta be making an appearanc ein your home or wardrobe this season, do you think??





14 comments:

  1. It's a colour that looks wonderful on the Princess, but not on me, or in my home! though one of my M/S thermal vests is Mulberry, does that count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that the M&S thermal vests are very good.

      Delete
    2. I'm wearing an m and s thermal vest from several years ago. I think it is the thermogen variety (not to be confwith thermogene?)

      Delete
    3. Thermogenic = helps produce heat. Thermogene = pink medical wadding

      Delete
  2. I could pretend my Seasalt cords are this colour! Kxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lots of purple in my wardrobe, but, not sure if I have anything that's magenta. I'll have to take another look to see. I won't be buying anything just for the color, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in the right lighting, purple would pass as magenta

      Delete
  4. Replying to an above comment, agree m and s thermals are very good whatever the colour
    You have enlightened me - I had no idea there was a colour of the year! Not sure what I feel about the magenta - not my favourite but looks good on Catherine
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most things look good on her (young, tall, slim, wealthy - the opposite of little old me)

      Delete
  5. It's not a colour I would choose for anything.
    It looks good on some people, but this is just a way to get people to spend money on things they may not need. ~ skye

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm ahead of Princess Kate by years. I've got an ancient magenta top that I love!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!