Friday 16 December 2022

Warm Words, Top Tips

When we were newlyweds, saving every penny we could to pay for Bob to train for ministry, we lived in a small flat. It was heated in three ways - a tiny gas fire, ridiculously expensive underfloor electric heating [we never used it], and by our neighbours around us [all of whom kept their flats Very Warm, which insulated ours] There was a sign over the gas fire saying "If you are cold, put on another jumper". This statement is still in use in the family. Warm clothes are important, they conserve body heat, they mean we use less energy heating our homes - and they help keep us warm and healthy.
I have some thermal tops and leggings which go under everyday clothes for extra warmth, and I frequently wear tights under trousers. [I did remember to wear footless tights on the Very Cold day of my Podiatrist's appointment. He does not have a changing room!]
I wear warm socks, and have knitted myself some thicker woolly ones
When I go out I have gloves [particularly fond of the fingerless 'milkman's gloves] which leave my fingertips free for texting and such. And hats [the Greta Thunberg Ear Flap one is especially warm]
But my favourite warm garment at the minute is a scarf- the weather scarf wrapped round [three times] as a cowl, the pashmina type shawl Steph gave me, my biker's "buff". I have concluded that if my neck is warm, my body usually feels warmer. Watching The Repair Shop [which is apparently a very draughty venue] I notice many of the presenters there with well wrapped necks. Is it to do with keeping the jugular vein insulated, so the blood to the brain is warmer?
Kirsten is doing an Advent-Knit-Along to make a lovely cowl.
I decided I couldn't manage that with all the other Christmas projects currently on hand, but it may get knitted up after Christmas!
Nightwear is warm pjs, and bedsocks - and in the evening, I often put on my dressing gown over my daytime clothes if we are sitting in front of the TV. And of course, there are plenty of blankets and throws in the lounge to snuggle under.
I'm definitely not a 'onesie woman' nor do I fancy a hooded blanket. And I don't do wild sea swimming [sorry Mags] so I won't be investing in an expensive DryRobe . I met a teenager wearing one recently, and asked where she swam - the reply was "I don't swim, but I thought the coat looked cool" My Skip Parka is proving very warm. And my biker boots grip well on icy paths.
What are your favourite winter clothes?
Have you had snow where you are?


20 comments:

  1. I definitely noticed this week, the difference a scarf makes as one of the train strike days, I forgot my scarf and waiting at Shenfield station for 30mins on a freezing platform, it really wasn't pleasant!
    I had 2 coats on (lightweight down) plus an overcoat parka with fluffy hood, jumper, top, cashmere fingerless gloves and black winter cycling gloves, fleece-lined Goretex boots, socks and wool leg warmers under trousers plus beanie and I froze despite all that! Today, I didn't realise there was another train strike and the roads were icy near home so I was worried I'd miss my train! I am supposed to be taking the kids to sing at a care home today but i suspect it'll be cancelled by SLT like my carol services were due to icy conditions on the pavements. Sad.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kezzie - with all those layers I don't know how you manage to cycle! Keep safe, my friend. I hope your classes get to do their Carol singing. I'm sure the OAPS love it (I'm an OAP and I love Carols)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The OAPS did love it! I posted about it - a bit of an epic post!

      Delete
  3. Not snow, just -9 in Cornwall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another scarf wearer here, and a shawl and hat in the house. The best way to keep warm, if you are able, is to move around. I do 2 good walks a day and they really warm me up, I feel for those who cannot move to get their circulation going, lots of hot drinks with ginger in them perhaps, any layers. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot drinks with ginger is a great idea! And if you cannot walk outside safely, march on the spot in front of the TV

      Delete
  5. All our family wear 'Buffs' in this weather. Our son bought one when he was at Uni and when we discovered just how good it was, we all bought ourselves a couple.
    We all wear Ushankas too, Grandson's is bright blue, all the others are black or dark grey!
    Husband and I both have Sorel snow boots, as we've always lived in hilly areas, and sometimes we walk to shops etc rather than risk taking the cars out. They're fabulous, very warm, and with great non slippy soles!
    We've had a small amount of snow, but not enough to stop us doing stuff.
    We haven't had daytime temps above 1c for ages, and night temps are -9 to -11!
    I'm making a lot of soup at the mo! X






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have just laughed at a guy on TV talking about wearing a baklava on his head!

      Delete
  6. My husband is a bit of a joker and if I complain about the cold he tells me to 'suck a mint!'
    However he did buy me a hooded blanket and I have to admit the last week or so I've certainly got our money's worth out of it.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoods keep your ears warm, which I think is very important

      Delete
  7. I am a great believer in layering up for warmth, thin cotton socks under thicker wool socks, and wool walking boot socks to slip on over them when I put my feet up out of the draughts. In Winter the thin layers closest to the skin are easier to wash and dry while the other layers need washing much less frequently.
    Warm feet and ankles, warm hands and wrists, warm neck and head, and plenty of layers in between. There is a hot water bottle tucked in there somewhere too.
    Nelliegrace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Layers are definitely the wisest option - easy to add or subtract to adjust temperature

      Delete
  8. Recently I read: "There is no bad weather - only insufficient clothing." So true!
    I agree having your head and neck warm helps you stay warm all over.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❄️🧣🧀πŸ§₯πŸ‘–❄️

      Delete
  9. I'm thinking back to my young days in England when we didn't bundle up in winter! How we managed with nylon tights and regular shoes I can't imagine now. We do have our home well winterized here in Canada with good insulation and double glazing, and at the moment we have milder weather than normal, milder than you have right now I believe! Our house is heated in winter with a wood furnace, and can get too hot if we are not careful! If we get down to the - 20s and -30s at night, the temperature of the house will drop significantly if someone doesn't hike down to the basement and pop in some more hardwood logs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine living anywhere as cold as Canada

      Delete
  10. Another scarf wearer here! I am usually always cold unless it is summer! I am currently wearing 4 layers on top, sweatpants, scarf, socks, and sitting in front of the heater! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you have greater extremes of temperature than us - your summers are SO hot!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!