Monday 5 December 2022

Impromptu

"adjective - something done without being planned, organised or rehearsed"
We had an impromptu guest yesterday - there we were, at after church coffee, and it was miserable wet, day. And she was standing by the serving hatch and I wondered to myself how she'd be spending her afternoon. I had a quiet word with Bob, then invited her to join us for Sunday lunch. "nothing special" I stressed.
I had done the minimum of weekend meal planning for the two of us - Saturday morning a chicken casserole went in the slo-cooker before I did the School Fair, for our evening meal - and there was more than half left on Sunday. And I wanted to maximise oven use, so when I cooked the breakfast croissants, I also prepared two part bake baguettes [we were running out of bread] and also baked some puff pastry which was in the fridge.
I used my individual Hornsea bowl as a template and cut out 4 circles of pastry. The remainder I divided into 6 and rolled round chunks of dark chocolate to make rustic 'pain au chocolate' type pastries. And I also put a rice pudding in the slocooker. I'd thought this would provide Sunday's meals for the two of us. 
But it stretched very easily. 
I divided the casserole between three of the bowls, and heated them through thoroughly, popping the pastry 'hats' on for the last 5 minutes. These were served with boiled potatoes, and peas.
"This is not a pie, it is a casserole with a hat!" I said - and it tasted fine**. Our guest declined the rice pudding - but fortunately I could offer a bowl of fruit as an alternative dessert.
**This was a roll of Aldi puff pastry. I found it better- less oily- than Lidl's. But still prefer Sainsburys [or Jus-Rol if it is on offer] for flavour and consistent results.
Yesterday we chatted and laughed, and learned a lot more about each other. So much easier to do that in the relaxed atmosphere of home than while you are standing, balancing a cup of coffee, in the church hall!  I remember when I was young and single, and Sunday was the day I got most homesick, missing my own church, and family lunch with my Mum, Dad and brother
Preparing a fancy meal for family or friends can be good fun - Making An Effort - but occasionally the impromptu 'come back for lunch with us' invite is important and worthwhile. I need to remind myself to do this more often.


19 comments:

  1. That was a very kind thing to do, Angela, but, of course, you and Bob are both very kind and considerate people. It sounds like there was plenty of good food to go around. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless, you are a shining example of someone who frequently provides food for others, graciously and generously.

      Delete
  2. You're 'looking again' at regular actions and habits. That was very kind of you. As someone who lived alone, wasn't very good at preparing and went to church alone for a good 6 years, this type of thing is very much appreciated. Your lunch sounds lovely.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you were at my church! Every Sunday I come home feeling so lonely and have a real weeping session. I have asked numerous people to come to my place for a meal on Sunday after church but so far not one Yes in three years. It’s lonely being a single unmarried no children adult in a church:(. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sad to read this Margaret - praying that somebody responds positively and offers you hospitality very soon. Don't give up! 🙏❤️

      Delete
    2. I so hope someone will go out for coffee or a lunch with you. Angela is right, do not give up. See if anyone else is alone.
      JanF

      Delete
  4. One of our happiest Christmases was an impromptu one.
    After midnight service many years ago a friend said she was then going home to prepare vegetables. I suggested they came to share ours as I’d already done them and so we doubled up on Christmas Day. The children thought it was wonderful and the puddings E brought were much more exciting than ours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely - and I am sure the children really enjoyed being with friends. A choice of puds would be especially welcome.

      Delete
  5. How lovely of you Angela. But how could anyone decline rice pudding??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are those who do not like rice pudding - but it did mean there were leftovers for us!

      Delete
  6. A lovely impromptu invite, and sometimes they turn out the best don't they. I bet she went home glowing after an unexpected and very tasty day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a kind gesture, so typical of you and Bob. I was absolutely thrilled to see your Hornsea Contrast. We have a complete set and use it daily. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a shame that the company closed. Most of my Hornsea is Cornrose (wedding presents, 1979) and we use that daily, but I got these individual "contrast" bowls in a CS just pre pandemic and I use them so much

      Delete
  8. Don't forget to entertain strangers; some have entertained angels without knowing it. ~ skye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great verse from the epistle to the Hebrews, one which my late Mum loved to quote.

      Delete
  9. That was very kind and thoughtful of you and I suspect that you and Bob were equally blessed by this impromptu invitation to someone on her own.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!