Monday 29 May 2023

House Work

For the May Cross-Country-Collaboration with Kirsten, I was not sure what to stitch. I felt that perhaps I should mark the Coronation, but I did the No Cross No Crown last month and didn't feel like another crown. 

The House of Windsor began in 1917 with our King's great-grandfather, surely I could find something I'd enjoy stitching. Looking in the loft for something else, I found an A4 envelope containing some X- Stitch pattern books from the late 80s when I was making lots of cards.
Let's be honest, the Royal family is pretty dysfunctional at the moment, in one way or another. So prayers are not just God Bless The King, but God Bless The Lot Of Them. And then I found this at the back of the book. I tweaked the border a little.
Bless This House  was written by an English woman a century ago, with music written by an Australian. 
It seemed a good sentiment. 



But as I stitched I realised there was a second meaning... In the year and a half that Kirsten and I have been sewing in collaboration, our friendship has grown. We send each otyer messages and prayer requests and pray for each other and our families. The piece I was working on will end up in Kirsten's house. 
Bless this house, oh Lord we pray   applies to the house of my stitching buddy as well that of the sovereign. 

18 comments:

  1. It looks lovely and thank you for the friendship - who knows what can be made from needles and threads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely saying you've stitched. I especially like the flower border.
    British Royal families have always been a bit dysfunctional, haven't they? Marriages annulled, wives beheaded, heirs locked up in towers, never to be seen again, children declared illegitimate, cousins imprisoned and done away with, mistresses and rumors of secret marriages...the list goes on, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now you put it like that.... I guess the current lot aren't the worst we've had!

      Delete
  3. That’s a beautiful sentiment and a lovely piece of stitching too. Very warm here today again so was up early to get some ironing done. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slightly overcast, but we got up early and went to a boot fair on a village green nearby

      Delete
  4. Bless makes a very good point! I think your design is beautiful!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely, words and sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mum had a recording of Harry Secombe singing Bless This House!

      Delete
  6. That’s a beautiful piece of cross stitch, and nice to know how the friendship has grown. It can happen. For nearly thirty years I have written letters every week to a group of friends. Over the years we have seen the friendship and concern for each other deepen. We all now belong to a wonderful support group of friendship. I always look for your postcard sewing, it’s great. Love Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to belong to such a group - proper written letters are so lovely in comparison to emails. A true support group. I'm glad that other people are connecting with our collaborative-stitching too.❤️👍🙂

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful cross-stitch you've made and isn't it a dleight to know your dear friend will cherish it.
    Friendships are the sprinkles on the cupcake of life.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful stitching and a great message. Isn't it wonderful how bonds of friendship are created through regular communication?

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!