Wednesday 31 May 2023

Nuts In May

 And so ends one of the craziest months-of-May that I can remember. Quite apart from three Bank Holiday Mondays and a Coronation, there have been so many random news items that it has proved impossible to keep up with it all.
The Coronation - I got very caught up with details of the clothing and the embroidery. Hats off to Hand and Lock who produced much of this stuff. 
Princess Anne declared she was glad she could wear uniform, it saved her worrying about her outfit. And turned up in the Pirate King's hat from Penzance. [btw did you catch the Midsomer Murders on Sunday night? It was proper, mindless Sunday Evening viewing!] And Penny Mordaunt astounded everyone by her sword-carrying skills, and a cloak embroidered with the Poundland logo.
The Speeding Fines - The Archbishop ended up paying rather a lot for his mistakes. Which he did not deny, and genuinely attempted to pay for. It does appear that the admin got messed up somewhere along the line. I am not sure this government appreciates the ABCs efforts to call out their behaviour as 'morally unacceptable'
The Home Secretary tried to get out of doing a speed awareness course with other people, and that backfired rather. And four MPs [3 Tory, 1 SNP] claimed for their speeding fines on expenses! 
Slow down, and pay up, please!!
I'm not somebody who watches "This Morning" so have not really followed the story of Phillip Schofield's demise. I'm not even going to post a photo of the man. [But I bet 'Webuyanycar.com"are glad they have recently changed their marketing strategy!] I do not thinking that repeatedly lying to your wife, [ & children, work-partner, colleagues, employers...] is ever acceptable. It is even worse than queue jumping. 
I'll finish with two odd things I have observed in May...
Look closely at this washing powder - It is actually called "BIO- concentrated nonbio washing powder." 
Well is it? or isn't it?
And finally, a sign seen in a garden centre last weekend.


I think this sign is for people with dachshunds, altho some members of my family suggested I should have one. 
It was displayed on the bottom shelf, and behind it a sign saying "If you can't quite reach what you want..."
Do they not know that short-legged women are renowned for their obstinacy to accept help and will happily scale the fitment to reach things from the top shelf?
Roll on June - things can only get better!


 


18 comments:

  1. Sounds like you found May to be quite an interesting month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read Guardian journalist John Crace’s brilliant and very amusing May 6th article on the Coronation ?

    Watching the elaborate and ostentatious event made me realise that despite worshipping in an Anglican Church for the last 25 years I’m still a simple non-conformist at heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did read it. He mentions Stephen Fry behind a pillar - but not that he was sat next to the president of the Baptist Union, the delightful Hayley Young [another non-conformist, in every respect] I'd have loved to listen to their pre-ceremony chat!

      Delete
  3. An eventful May! I wonder if you saw the BBC1 programme before the Coronation about the uniforms and other clothing being made? It was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it brilliant - what a dedicated, hardworking team. And Patrick Grant was clearly moved. Another great programme in the "Repair Shop" category - skilled folk working at their craft , no shortcuts or bodgers - and a lovely backstory full of memories and pride in their products.

      Delete
  4. Great observations - gave me a smile x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I did find interesting about the Philip Schofield stuff was that when he came out to fanfares and handholding and lots of people telling him how marvellous he was, ITV, who do keep statistics of viewing figures, and viewing opinions as a matter of course, began to notice a steady decline in his popularity. It wasn’t because he was gay but because people were unhappy about how he had treated his wife of over 20 years. I thought it was interesting that people instinctively were uncomfortable with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. People are not happy about seeing others deceived.

      Delete
  6. I suppose you could always carry a folding stool in the store : ) My problem is looking at items on the bottom shelves and trying to read their information. A folding stool would be handy to sit on while perusing labels and prices low down. My knees won't allow for undignified, prolonged crouching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cousin Gill was same height as me, and worked in retail. She was renowned for carrying her little folding step stool around the store all the time!

      Delete
  7. I'm petite as you are and love a quote I read decades ago:
    'My feet ttouch the floor when I'm standing up!' Not always when sitting down, of course.
    Loved your post!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A brilliant round up of May. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That washing powder brand is called Bio D. Thus the Brand is Bio (D), the formula is Non-Bio. Kx

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!