Thursday 4 May 2023

Polling Cards And Party Goods...


It is Polling Day in the UK, so please get out there and cast your vote. 
Do not forget your ID!
Here's Mrs Pankhurst standing in the middle of Manchester, on her kitchen chair - and a photo of Rosie in June 2017. We are teaching the younger members of our family the importance of democracy.
In other news, I have to say that I saw some odd things on my trip into Dereham on Tuesday afternoon.
Many shops have posters celebrating the Coronation. The Charity Shops have all worked hard to produce patriotic window displays. What I didn't expect was a cheery sign saying
"Hip Hip Hooray, Celebrate the Coronation!" to be located outside the Funeral Directors. I'm not sure it is altogether tactful if your customers are likely to be people experiencing a recent bereavement. I think something a little more formally worded would have been better.
Another shop was selling partyware - paper plates, cups and napkins printed with Union Jacks, strings of bunting etc. And absurd little conical cardboard party hats.


They were so bizarre I just had to take a picture. For a start, the crown has been photo-shopped onto his head.[badly] and the ermine trim is weirdly coloured and splodgy. And oddest of all, the wording says "God love the King" not the more usual "God save the King"
If God loves everybody, as Christians believe, then surely we do not need to entreat the Almighty to love anyone in particular. 'God save the King' makes much more sense.
I'm certainly not wasting ten bob for this headgear for our street party.
[Bob is always amused by the fact that when I consider something is too expensive, I revert to the £SD coinage. I do miss half-crowns - those coins were so weighty, if someone gave me one as a child, I felt quite rich]
So much money is being wasted on utter tat this weekend. At least our little street party is being run on a shoestring budget, focussing more on building good community relationships and memories for the children.

23 comments:

  1. My oddest from a funeral director was a firm which alsohired out its limousines as wedding cars. Their sign read, "Fred Bloggs Funeral Directors. Weddings a speciality". Happy the bride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I'd like to go to my wedding in the same car that had taken me to a family funeral!

      Delete
  2. I watched a video of the dress rehearsal for the procession and thought it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly know how to do Pomp and Ceremony in the UK

      Delete
  3. I can't stand all the tat that gets wheeled out at such celebrations and events. It's just encouraging single use. I am a little pedantic but I almost always wheel out my own melanine plate if I think in advance that I may end up with a disposable plate! I am pretty sure I'm alone in that too.
    I'm so glad my school is not a voting station this time, we have missed so many days! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My collapsible Stojo mug travels with me most of the time these days. And our street party is 'bring your own picnic' - so no paper plates provided

      Delete
  4. Your street party sounds exactly right,a celebration bringing people together.
    I remember as a child that halfcrowns were wonderful, and a nice looking coin. On Christmas Day, kind old relatives would give them with the words" now put that in your money box".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they DID say that - as though the coins would somehow multiply inside the box. These days many children will want to rush out on Boxing Day to spend their 'Christmas money' in the sales!

      Delete
  5. Forgot to sign Isabel. I'm not the best with modern technology

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Problem Isabel - pleasant comments get through even if anonymous. Hope you enjoy the weekend 👑

      Delete
  6. Our shops are much the same, full of absolute rubbish, but I did notice that very little is selling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right - there is little enthusiasm for spending money on 'fripperies'

      Delete
  7. The hats very funny. The wording sounds like a poor Chinese translation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if these are cheap imports- like the Christmas bauble Liz has, which says "Bah Hubmug" - and all the imported Jubilee souvenirs last year which said "Queen's Jubbly"

      Delete
  8. Ooh, a half crown was always birthday money during our childhood, we felt proper rich when we had one. :-)

    I have to admit to buying bunting and some flags ready for Coronation day, it will be the last patriotic thing that my Mum will celebrate with us so I decided to go the whole hog for once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 🇬🇧👑🇬🇧👑🇬🇧👑🇬🇧👑🇬🇧👑🇬🇧

    ReplyDelete
  10. The party hat really is the limit! I bet it was made in China, too. It bothers me to see all the "tat" that pops up for every occasion from Christmas to Hallowe'en and everything else you can think of. I wonder how much of it is actually sold and how much ends up in the landfill. I can't imagine anyone keeping one of those hats as a family heirloom (hair - loom?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much stuff for landfill. It's appalling

      Delete
  11. I watched the programme with Patrick Grant last night about the making of dress and ceremonial uniforms mainly for the coronation. I was fascinated at the amount of work that gies into making garments that are only worn on very special occasions. Well worth watching on catch up if you missed it. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C, I'd quite forgotten that it was on last night. I'll watch on catch up. I think Patrick is an interesting guy, and knows his stuff when it comes to tailoring

      Delete
    2. I think Patrick Grant is not only interesting, but easy on the eye!!

      Delete
    3. Love FD xx

      Delete
    4. I think Patrick is great - I've now watched the programme and found parts of it quite moving. I was very sad to read an interview with him where he said that his last relationship failed because his lady could not cope with being stalked by press photographers. He seems such a good bloke

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!