Friday 5 May 2023

Crowning Glory

I posted recently about changing our blinds , and my concern about sending the old one to landfill. It was temporarily propped up in the corner. Then I went to street party meeting that evening. The school had been asked if they could get the children to make crowns to wear at the party. Quite reasonably, imho, the reply was that there wasn't time. After all, the childrne have had all these extra days off in recent months [extra bank hols, strikes, covid closures]

It was hoped therefore that they could perhaps make crowns in our activity tent. I looked online - and did not feel like spending money on precut card strips. And then I realised that I had exactly what I needed just waiting to be cut out...

First I dismantled the blind, and left the strips soaking overnight in the bath [warm water, scoop of washing powder and scoop of Vanish] Then I rinsed them and hung them over the airer.  I did some experimenting with the strip that was damaged to check my idea would work. It did -  I made a tiny sample crown

I cut each strip in half, then cut zig-zags down the middle.I ended up with over 70 crown strips. These can be decorated with crayons, [paint too messy] and the textured surface works really well. And I got a couple of packets of cheap stickers to bejewel them.

The adult helpers with be equipped with staplers to join the ends once the children have decorated the crowns. Important tip staple them from the inside, and cover the sharp ends with a bit of sellotape, so they do not catch on hair or scratch little scalps!
Maybe not as elaborate as the Baker Ross ones, but an awful lot cheaper [i.e. free] The gold card ones on sale online do not take well to crayons or felt pens, according the reviews. Any leftovers will be passed on to the Church Toddler Group for their meeting next Tuesday. Good Recycling!


16 comments:

  1. You are unbelievable! I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Kirsten 's comment. You are indeed unbelievable! I'm amazed and humbled by your ingenuity and imagination. And you found a use for them!!!! Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kezzie, you are truly inspirational when it comes to re-use and re-cycle, especially in terms of showing and teaching the next generation

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful way to reuse/recycle those blinds! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's amazing x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent "light bulb" moment, Ang! Am glad these blinds have been put to such memorable use!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are becoming the Recycle Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant recycling and no plastic/ foiled card tat to end up in landfill. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great way to recycle the blinds! You are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you manage to recycle so much!
    janf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ♻️ It was quite accidental - I was thinking about the cheapest way of getting long strips of cardboard, and realised that the discarded blind was made of long strips of suitable stuff! ♻️

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!