Tuesday 23 May 2023

Holidays Over - Happy To Be Home

Bob wisely suggested that we came home a day early. So we left before Steph set out for her run. It was Manchester Marathon Day - but she was just doing 10K [her first proper run since Jacob was born last summer] With good friends Raquel and Christine to send her off at the start, and cheer her as she came home, we knew she was well supported.
It was a very warm day, and we took our time - diverting to Lincoln for some lunch. We went to the delightful Stokes Cafe - the building dates back to 1540 and is set on High Bridge.It was beautiful walking through the city in the sunshine. Bob had fish and chips [as it was the end of his holiday] and I had soup of the day. Lentil again - but the best of the 4 bowls I'd enjoyed since my accident.
We were both very tired when we got back. But Monday was a very productive day. We seemed to achieve a lot, and coming back early was a wise move.
8.55 - delivered my letter from Dundee Hospital to the GPs surgery in North Elmham
9.00 - crossed the road to the Tea Post for a lovely breakfast of golden scrambled eggs
10.00 - into Dereham to collect my new glasses - fortuitously ordered before the holiday. How pleased I was that they were waiting for me. The Vision Express optician took away the bent ones, and said she could straighten them, and then send them off to be recycled for the benefit of someone else. While I was doing that, Bob bought necessary groceries.
11.00 - home, and the GP rang for a chat and asked if I could pop in to see her so she could check my mouth
11.30 - at the surgery again. GP very pleased with the treatment Ii'd received in Scotland, and checked that I had dental provision for the teeth. She was satisfied with the way things are healing. I left with a tube of antiseptic cream to help the process. All good!

Rest of the day - Bob pottered about doing this and that***, and I just lazed around, still sleepy. I will post pictures of new specs when my face is less swollen [my nose is still tender]  The garden has gone on growing in my absence [mostly - my pot of basil has languished, but radishes are ready for picking, and the potatoes are coming on a treat. One peony bud has opened and is blooming a beautiful crimson]

For those interested - we found our cottage through Holiday Cottages UK, and we were very pleased with the property, and felt we had good value for money. We had splashed out a little more than the minimum, but were grateful for that after the accident. It was a pleasant place to relax in, beautifully quiet, and really well equipped. Guests in the other cottage on site told us they had used HCUK before, and were always pleased with their rentals. 

***Despite my urging him to support "No Mow May" it is four weeks since the last cut and Bob could not stand the unkempt lawn any longer! My man went to mow at 3pm. 

The holiday is finished!






16 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed your visit to my lovely county (Lincs)! Your's is about the third household I've heard of which had to give up on NoMowMay. I never mow,largely because I have no lawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Lawn is a good reason not to worry about NoMowMay!

      Delete
  2. It's been No Mow April and May for us and ours is looking very long. Hopefully, the insects are happy. (Fox who dug up my peas certainly is).
    Glad you got home safely and are getting continued care for your mouth. Well done to Steph! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it back, safely. No lawn, here, either, but, M occasionally weed whacks any overgrown areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the phrase Weed Whack - so much more enthusiastic than the British word Strim!!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you're safely back home, and haven't the NHS done you proud. You have a good doctor to insist on checking you over on your return.
    I had forgotten about it being the Manchester marathon at the weekend, thank goodness we didn't decide to visit Mum as her road is always closed for a good proportion of the day when the race is on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately we were able to skirt round the closures

      Delete
  5. I would embrace NoMowMay, but the secret of a long and happy marriage is choosing one's battles... and he who does the mowing calls the tune.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A belated Welcome Home! So glad everything worked out well after your fall and that your care and recovery has been excellent.
    How wise to come home a day early, too. There is simply no place like home!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always good to get home, even after a successful holiday (not including your fall, of course!). From the UK blogs I read, it always seems to me that the NHS is a great service, although people complain anyway!. I recently tried to get an appointment with my GP, and was told nothing was available for weeks and to go to urgent care. It's often like this here. I hope your mouth is all recovered soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Celie. The NHS is very precious to many of us, and we are fighting to maintain "treatment for all, free at the point of need"

      Delete
  8. I hope you won't develop a dislike of lentil soup after so much of it! Nice to get back home and enjoy home comforts. Even after an overnight trip I'm always refreshed to see home again. That's great that you have your new glasses.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!