Thursday 25 May 2023

The Virtuous Gardener

Well this is a surprise. We returned from Scotland, and I wandered round the garden checking this and that. Potatoes OK, shallots OK, radishes OK, beans OK, peonies- blooming, viola -2nd blooming [woohoo!!]  tomatoes looking sad, herbs thriving, roses budding...so [with the exception of the tomatoes] I was quite happy. Then I noticed a new plant in the front garden, next to the rosemary
I don't recall planting this one. Lunaria annua - often known as moonwort, but more commonly called honesty.
I have always said I would like to grown honesty in my garden. But never got round to it - I have no idea where this came from, but I am so happy it is there. I remember the Deputy Head at the first school I taught in, putting a large jug of the silvery white seed heads on the table in the entrance, with a label saying "We need more of this"
This has set me thinking about the virtuous plants in our gardens, and those whose names mean something
HONESTY - know the truth and it shall set you free
SAGE- wisdom is definitely something to aspire to
BALM - comfort in times of anxiety
FORGET-ME-NOT - how important to remember others
THYME - not to be wasted!
THRIFT - definitely a virtue we all need these days
I am not sure if my honesty plant will produce those lovely luminescent selenic seed heads, or if they will stay the lilac colour. But I am really excited to watch what happens.
Can you think of other plants with noble names?



25 comments:

  1. This made me think of that old TV series, "The Herbs" with the aristocratic Sir Basil and Lady Rosemary. And Sage the owl. And Constable Knapweed. I shall have a smile on my face for hours now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://youtu.be/5gb1JClFvfo. All I can remember is "I'm Bayleaf, I'm the gardener, I work from early dawn..."

      Delete
  2. How lovely to find a volunteer honesty plant growing in your garden! I have a sage plant but that is about all the plants I have with noble names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of "volunteer plants"

      Delete
  3. The Honesty would have had either white or purple flowers, the pods are the seeds. When dry you can peel off each side of a pod and the silvery ‘leaf’ will be revealed. There will be seeds in the pod that you can sow for next year, it’s biannual. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Sandra, this is really useful information! Maybe I can cultivate another plant for somewhere else in the garden too!

      Delete
  4. Have tried umpteen times to grow Honesty from seed with no success - don't know what this means!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am gradually learning that gardening is a very random thing. Even Monty Don & friends admit to stuff they cannot grow! But there is no doubt about your honesty, thrift and sagacity, Sue

      Delete
    2. Joe Swift said on RHS Chelsea the other night that he couldn't grow Lily of the Valley because they need damp, shady conditions. Mine are quite happy, year after year, in the gritty border underneath my kitchen window which gets blisteringly hot in the summer months.Even the pros can get it wrong!

      Delete
  5. How funny that you wanted one and one grew! That happened with me and Three cornered Leek. It's supposedly an invasive weed but it's a tasty, pretty one!! Kx
    It's not virtuous but our Nigella- Love-in-the-mist is a pretty name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love leek soup! And love (in a mist) is good

      Delete
  6. Also what about Heartease?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I forgot that, and I blogged about it last month too

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Yes!! I'm glad you remembered that one. Thanks Philip

      Delete
  8. Id not heard of the plant Honesty, by any of the names. There's a small native tree here called a Serviceberry. It does a good service for the birds as most love the berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten Service trees. As a child I heard the name and thought it was where people held open air church services!

      Delete
  9. What a lovely find! I have not seen Honesty the plant anywhere around here. It should grow, maybe it is just not popular. I do remember my grandma in Pershore had dried ones in a display.
    That was a little bonus Welcome Home for you.
    JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always considered it a very English plant.The dried stems make a lovely display when fresh flowers are scarce

      Delete
  10. We call that plant, money plant. Because of the coins that contain the seeds. It's very interesting learning the different names for things! Anne in Wyoming USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very interesting - I've seen a green houseplant in the UK with round coin-shaped leaves which is called the Money Plant.

      Delete
  11. I think that "Lady's Mantle" is a noble name, and it has pretty leaves that water forms beads on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LM (Latin name alchemilla) has been used for centuries by herbalists. It contains tannin, and salicylic acid (aspirin) and when made into tea it is said to be very beneficial to ladies. It helps with menstrual cramps, and menopausal symptoms. A very noble plant indeed! (and. pretty too)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the herbal information, I didn't know this about alchemilla.

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!