Friday 19 May 2023

And Finally, Falkirk!

 I'd said before we left Norfolk that I'd love to see the Falkirk Wheel, and the Kelpies. In fact I've been muttering about seeing the wheel since they first built it 21 years ago. We drove south to Falkirk. The Kelpies were first stop. These amazing 30m high steel sculptures of horses heads [Duke and Baron] were designed by Scots artist Andy Scott. The exhibition was excellent, with models showing the height of these horses in comparison to The Angel of the North, and Tower of Pisa [I've seen both] Also images showing the whole bodies under the water [no they just have supports... But these are higher than the heads themselves.
Here's Bob standing between them. My mouth continues to improve, although my lip is still swollen. These signs either side of one of the walkways felt like a "before and after" 
Next stop The Wheel. Check out here if you don't know about this genius piece of modern engineering. One simple fixture does away with a whole staircase of locks on the canal. And only needs the same amount of energy as 8 kettles to rotate. 
We had lunch in the café. For the third day in a row, I had "soup of the day". Which, just like Pitlochry and Dundee, turned out to be lentil. Good job I like lentil soup. 
Outside was one of those huge deckchairs designed for tourists to take holiday snaps. 
Feeling less anxious about my appearance, I asked Bob to take a photo. The chair was higher than ones I'd encountered previously. My darling husband decided to make a video! [I hope this works] 
As you can see, the disaster last Sunday has not stopped us finding joy in silly things! 






26 comments:

  1. How apt those signs were - well done to notice them
    Hope you got out of that massive deckchair eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With help from Bob...but a dear little lady, who was even smaller than me(&older I think) dashed forward to help!! Maybe she'd had a similar experience

      Delete
  2. Glad you were able to see The Falkirk Wheel and the Kelpies.Well done on risking the deck chair- the grandchildren will enjoy watching the video I’m sure. Safe journey to Manchester and homewards. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video doesn't work for me sadly! Both of these seem really interesting things to see! I don't know what I thought a Kelpie was, but it wasn't that! I have often read about them in books! Glad you are able to still have fun. I like lentil soup but I'd be having bowel issues after 3 days of it!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read up on Kelpies when I get home

      Delete
  4. Thank you for making me begin my day laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the video! :D
    Yes, a good thing you like lentil soup! Hope you'll have a change of diet when you get home. Have a safe journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a lovely day out. Those signs, so funny - good job we can laugh isn't it? Glad you are improving daily xx
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those two signs look very new. Do you think the word got out about your upcoming visit? 😀
    Enjoyed the video, a funny memory to share with the family as well. I'd love to see the Wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful little video! You two are SO cute, Ang. How on earth could a person get out of that deckchair if they were alone?
    JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'd have climbed in if I was by myself

      Delete
  9. So funny to see you collapsing gracefully backwards in that enormous deckchair. Your grandchildren will love to see Granny doing that. Pleased your mouth is beginning to heal. Safe journey home to Norfolk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Graceful" would not be my choice of adjective

      Delete
  10. Glad that you got to see the Falkirk Wheel, it really is a spectacular piece of engineering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is brilliant - such clever design beautifully executed

      Delete
  11. When I was at Brownies, I was a Kelpie which used to mean similar to a leprechaun. It seems to have gone down in Scottish folklore as something more sinister though the work the real canal horses used to do was very worthy indeed. You two are a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that info. We've had great fun in Scotland

      Delete
  12. What a coincidence, I watched a YouTube video on Sunday of some narrowboaters that I follow on there being on The Wheel as they holidayed in a rented boat in Scotland. It's a brilliant work of engineering and you get a fantastic view from the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day we went, there was a 3 hour wait for tickets to ride the wheel - we just watched and marvelled

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!