Tuesday 9 April 2024

An Odd Sort Of A Week

It has been very wet and windy, the back lawn remains sodden and muddy - and yet on Saturday we spent all day on the beach at Wells. Jess was busy filling little cones with sand, and presenting us with 'ice creams'. She claimed they were strawberry, caramel, chocolate or pistachio flavour - then giggled when we 'tasted' them and found they were just sand.
It was one of those magical family days when we all had fun, and shared a picnic, and played games - then returned home for hot drinks and fruit loaf. And the weather was really pleasant -not too hot, nor too cold, and no rain.
The wind was getting stronger by the time we got to Cornerstones in the late afternoon. Patrick, my little Irish Airman on the garage, was whizzing round at top speed. We were not too troubled by Storm Kathleen - the garden chairs were blown about a bit. 
I was glad the summerhouse roof was secure.

The dentist's visit went well yesterday - he is very pleased with the way my lip has healed following the Scottish fall last May - he said I came through that really well all things considered. Furthermore, my gum has healed beautifully following the extraction of That Troublesome Tooth in January. The only question is now is "what do we do about the huge gap?" There are three options. 
  1. Live with it, and give up TicTacs [they get stuck in the space]
  2. Have a partial denture which will fit over adjacent teeth
  3. Have an implant
Pros and cons
  1. I am very conscious of the gap and food gets lodged there. No pros.
  2. I have two PDs already. Minimal discomfort to have them fitted. They are OK but have to come out at night [toothless crone mode, as Bob calls it] 
  3. As near as you can get to a 'real' tooth. Roshan assures me that the pain will be less than the discomfort of the extraction. And will last me 20 years or more. 
Cost implications 1- free, 2 - £450, 3- £2500
I am thinking it over and will tell him my decision next month when I go for my hygienist session. 
Do any of you have an implant tooth? Is it OK? Does it feel 'odd' in your mouth? It seems a huge amount of money to spend on my mouth. On the other hand, the dentist it will improve my chewing. I'd appreciate some tooth-reviews, please!
On Sunday, I was preaching and leading worship at Church, as the Minister was on holiday, Bob was preaching at another church, The service went well, apart from computer playing up., We sang the first two hymns a capella. But I was so busy first thing in the morning, thinking about the service, that I didn't really think properly about my outfit. I opted for a navy dress, navy tights, and navy shoes, with 'pearl' necklace and earrings. [Classic, understated style, I thought]
As I turned off the main road into the village where the chapel is, I suddenly realised I had no jacket, and no pocket - so nowhere to put the battery pack from the radio mic. I ended up threading the cable down the neck of my dress, and tucking the pack inside the waistband of my tights. 
Pastor Nick clearly has a larger head - the headset mic kept slipping, and at one point, I pushed it back into place, it caught on my hair, and my earring pinged off onto the carpet. 
But afterwards, over the coffee and chat, people seemed very appreciative - and I drove home. As I took my key out of the front door, I dropped it on the door mat. And realised I had been to church  wearing ODD SHOES! Nobody said anything, so I hope they didn't notice. [They were both navy, and the same heel height]

Bob thinks I probably should not be let out on my own...

33 comments:

  1. My husband has one implant which he is very happy with, happy with the process too. The extraction of the offending tooth being the worst part. He is about to have a second one. He’s had the extraction and is now waiting for stage 2 . He would recommend them and we were both impressed by how uneventful it all was the first time round.
    Thank you for your blog Angela; always a delight.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. That's so helpful to read. I hope your husband's dental work continues to go smoothly!

      Delete
  2. Oh dear I too have gone out in odd shoes! I felt such a fool but no one commented as in your case, I too hoped that no one noticed. Good luck on whatever decision you choose teeth wise. The money does seem mouth watering for choice number three. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 👢👞 It feels like a huge amount. But if it improves my chewing for the rest of my life, then I guess it will be worth it.

      Delete
  3. I asked himself to pass me my black ankle boots, put them on, drove into town, looked down and saw I was wearing two very different ankle boots. One has a buckle on the side, the other has three buckles on the side! Neither of us noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If all your other teeth are in great condition, and your gums are healthy, go for the implant. It's a lot of money, but if you're not likely to lose any other teeth (so no more 'face planting') it's definitely worth it!
    My husband has a bridge with one tooth on, and that alone cost almost £3000 just seven months ago, so that makes the cost of the implant sound a bit better!
    I once slipped my feet into a pair of Skechers by the back door, I just wiggled into them, and didn't bother looking downwards at all. I was going to collect our grandson from school, but as husband wanted to pop into somewhere en route, we went in his car, and he would drop into Screwfix on the way back.
    At the appointed time, I got out of the car, walked about fifty metres down the road, glanced down at my feet…..one black shoe, one light grey! I scuttled back to the car, and forced husband to do the grandson collection, my reasoning being that he had watched me walk down our drive to his car, and didn't notice the shoe situation, therefore it was his fault that my shoes didn't match!
    Now, I never, ever leave more than one pair of shoes by the back door! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son had a titanium implant after a car accident 20+ years ago, silly boy wasn't wearing his seat belt. Still going strong and worth every penny. Rubbish weather here too. Aren't Jess's curls lovely. Hugs. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your son was not more seriously injured. Both girls have glorious curls

      Delete
  6. I've heard of odd socks by accident or design before but I have only ever seen odd shoes once before and that was done on purpose ... one orange and one purple.

    I think it's a question of paying the money and having an implant, they are brilliant these days and will no doubt see you out for the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue - I feel very encouraged by all these positive comments

      Delete
  7. Susan from Across the Pond9 April 2024 at 12:33

    I once went to an interview for a teaching position wearing mismatched shoes. I was in the middle of answer a question when I looked down and noticed one black shoe and one navy. They were the same style pump but two different colors. I tried not to stammer but soldiered on with my answer. I did not get that job. I often wondered if the principal noticed the shoes or if it was something else that made me "not a fit" for the position.

    I have an implant that I've had for nearly nine years. Completely worth the money. From the very beginning it did not feel any different from the tooth that was missing. Although it was awhile ago, I don't remember it being a tough procedure to endure to get it.

    Nevertheless, it is a question to "chew on" before deciding which option to choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the helpful comment regarding implants. I like the advice to "chew it over"!

      Delete
  8. I went to an all day seminar at Norwich City College where we changed rooms constantly to learn new computer programmes and see different styles of printers in use. We then sat round in a semi-circle for discussion, no table, about 10 of us. In the morning when I arrived and got out of my car I had noticed I was wearing odd shoes. I was horrified. I said nothing though so as not to draw attention to it and nobody said anything all day. I still felt very silly though. I have two bridge teeth which are very satisfactory and they are fixed. They cost a lot of money, more than £2500. They are very satisfactory and worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure nobody noticed the shoes. Thank you for the tooth comment. Like me, you are one of the Norfolk residents who DOES have a dentist, so many of my friends do not.

      Delete
  9. What a lovely photo on the beach. How good that the weather was kind enough. Today, for the first time, we have sun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have more rain than ever today. Saturday was so special

      Delete
  10. I recommend the implant. I have two. The money will be forgotten over the decades of use and comfort you get from it. It's truly worthwhile. You have many years yet to enjoy it.
    My friend is getting one now , at age 83! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! 83 is a great age to be undertaking serious dental work 🦷🦷🪥🦷

      Delete
  11. That's so funny about the shoes! Implants are very expensive here, too. My mom has had one and our son in law, too. They work! xoPom Pom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, but both shoes are so fetching!
    I have 2 crowns but those are very different so I have nothing personal to contribute to the thooth dialog.
    How wonderful you day on the beach was!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both pairs are incredibly comfortable!

      Delete
  13. Lovely day at the beach x
    So funny about the shoes 😀
    It looks like implants have the toothy vote - my sister has some and has always been pleased with them.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at the weather today, wet and windy, I am so glad we were able to get there on Saturday.

      Delete
  14. Glad you were able to enjoy a day at the beach and how nice of Jess to provide you with ice creams! :D
    Too funny about the mis-matched shoes.
    My dentist would like me to have implants, but some of my medical doctors expressed reservations due to my osteopenia; they are afraid my jaw bones won't heal. I have a partial denture, but, I no longer wear it because it was uncomfortable and I blame it for causing the adjacent tooth to break! I've really bad teeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole process begins with a CT scan to check my bones are OK to support an implant. My partials are very comfortable [so grateful to have found this excellent dentist]

      Delete
  15. I love the beach photo. Too bad about the odd shoes but at least they were almost identical and might have been regarded as intentional by the people who wear ripped jeans (although I guess there weren't any of those at church). DH has a partial with 3 teeth in the lower front and regularly forgets it first thing in the morning until he is confronted by toast! I think your dentist should have said that the pain would have been less than the discomfort of the cost! But comments here are positive so you may want to go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have three implants, and am probably going to lose another tooth so will get that one done as well. (I have very weak teeth, prone to cracking.) I'm very happy with them. I've worn unmatched shoes, same style but different colors. I don't think anyone noticed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've got away with it! 👟👠

      Delete
  17. Oh, the shoes are hilarious!!!!! I'm not sure I know anything about the tooth issue so won't add my 2p worth!x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!