Saturday 6 April 2024

Hot Soup For Cold Days


Bob was at The Shed, and I was with Liz and co. She made a tasty lentil and carrot soup for lunch. It was so comforting on a cold wet day. I decided to follow her example later in the week and made the Armenian Soup from my Cranks Cookbook. Last time I made this was at the start of lockdown, when I was working hard at 'recipes from my storecupboard' - because we were both in isolation at the time, and couldn't get to the shops.

Armenian Soup (from Cranks cookbook)

  • Red lentils, 50g
  • Dried apricots, 50g
  • Large potato 1
  • Vegetable stock 2 pt
  • Lemon juice (half a lemon)
  • Ground cumin 1 teaspoon
  • Parsley, chopped 3 teaspoons
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Place lentils and apricots in a  large saucepan. Roughly chop the
potato and add to the pan with remaining ingredients. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Allow to cool, then blend in a liquidizer goblet until smooth. Reheat to serving temperature and adjust seasoning to taste.

Delicious [although Liz's soup was a glorious orange colour, not a dismal khaki!]





24 comments:

  1. I still have my Cranks recipe book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy to follow recipes, from the days before we labelled things "plant-based"!

      Delete
  2. Can't eat lentils !(I know, gets boring after a while !)I like the sound of adding apricots. Wonder if carrots would substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious and tasty. We used to love eating in Cranks restaurants when we were on holiday but I can’t remember where they were now! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soup does sound good on a cold day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got that book, lots of useful recipes in there.
    I keep a pack of frozen butternut squash chunks in , then just a few added to any soup gives that lovely orange colour with minimal effort - my kind of cooking 😉
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to have the Cranks cookbook, many, many moons ago. Your soup looks lovely, you should have seen the colour of the soup that I defrosted yesterday, I thought it was going to be a roasted veg soup but it turned out to be a sludgy green version. It was still delicious but looking slightly 'pond lifey'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made lentil chili for a recent rainy day.
    Similar idea, no apricots but onions, carrots, tomatoes, cumin, chilli powder, cayenne, and balsamic vinegar. ~ skye

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liz's soup was probably more of an orange colour because of the carrots. I have tubs of Leek and Potato in the freezer, I just make a huge batch in the slow cooker especially when I can get YS leeks. Have a good weekend. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. We, too, love hit soup on cold days and eveniings and homemade soup is the best!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure that soup was delicious. I love anything with cumin in it. I wouldn't have thought of putting dried apricots in a soup but Middle Eastern cooking is full of surprises.
    I think my comment yesterday disappeared into the ether, but I just wanted to let you know how impressed I was with your Scrabble and Kirsten's Easter garden!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soup for lunch is a game saver, especially when you have some saved in the freezer, yours looks creamy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bowl of soup, and a hunk of bread is so much more comforting than just a sandwich

      Delete
  12. I’m going to try that in my soup maker. Can’t see why it wouldn't work. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should work! You may want to use 2 medium potatoes if your 'large' not that big

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!