Wednesday 10 April 2024

MMXXIV AD

Last week, I took Rosie to the Norfolk County Archives for a children's activity afternoon all about the Romans. Rosie has just studied this period in school so was very to keen to find out more. We began by being shown a table of genuine artefacts[do not touch these, children!] and replica pieces.[you can touch these things] Can anyone guess what this was used for? said the enthusiastic woman, waving a xylospongium at us. Rosie said it was a toilet brush for keeping your bum clean. The lady agreed, and said they all went to the loo together, and shared the same brush. The little blonde girl on the other side of me went very pale [obviously that topic hadn't been covered in her school]
Then we went into the big room, and two dozen children enjoyed making shields and helmets. Red, gold and black paint everywhere, and many determined young voices saying to accompanying adults "I've got this" "No, I don't need help" "I know what I am doing here" And the staff were relentlessly cheerful, and full of encouragement. It was a great afternoon, and all free. Rosie loved it, and I was pleased Liz had spotted the ad for the event online.
At the end, my little gladiator was asked to fill in an evaluation sheet. She wasn't sure what to put in the final box, so I suggested she could just write "Thank you, from Rosie" Which she did, and then, after some thought, added  aged VIII [eight] 
She explained, very seriously, that in roman numerals VIII = 8, but she'd put the word in brackets so that the woman would understand!
I told her that I would have to sign things Angela aged LXVIII
But as of today, I will be LXIX
As one old Roman said to the other, "it's that Annie Domino beginning to catch up with me"

45 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Hope you have a lovely day. Best wishes, Charmaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a very Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you and Annie have a very happy year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful event and it looks and sounds like Rosie really enjoyed it! Happy birthday, Angela! Annie Domino will be catching up with me, too, later this year and I'll be LXIX, myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a joy! Wonderful action.
    All good wishes for your birthday.
    "HIGH SHALT THOU LIVE... three times high." Let's say here with us.
    A hug for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Viola, for your greetings from Norway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun, informative event. Happy Birthday, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday 🎂....I'll be LXVIII next Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many happy bumps of the day xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday 🎂 Best wishes for today and a wonderful year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday 🎂 to you. The Romans activity looked lots of fun. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! Have a wonderful day. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a delightful and creative event that you and Rosie enjoyed!

    Wishing you a very happy birthday, too!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Felicem diem natalum tibi exopto!
    ~ skye

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday. Learning about romans at primary level can be such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much depends on the enthusiasm of the teachers.

      Delete
  16. Happy birthday Angela! That was a lovely activity for Rosie to enjoy. It reminded me of a happy day in Austria visiting the Roman ruins at Carnuntum, where there was underfloor heating, communal toilets (not for visitors, though), and a lot of items which could be touched. People were sitting around and putting down backpacks in a large room with tables and chairs, as if they were comfortable there, and it didn't matter as they weren't harming anything and they seemed to bring it to life!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As long as we respect the artefacts, and use our imagination, we can have an enjoyable time, and learn together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm late to the party, but wishing you a happy birthday! The Romans was always a favourite when I was teaching as we would visit the Roman villa in Milton Keynes . Always fun. Love FD xx (And yes, there really ARE the remains of a Roman villa in the modern city of MK! It's not just roundabouts and concrete cows!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gosh I was off my computer for one day and I miss two fellow bloggers birthdays!!

    I hope you had a very Happy Birthday and enjoyed writing your new Roman numerals. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie. Hoping you've had a good holiday

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!