Friday 12 April 2024

Gone To Pot

The weather was lovely yesterday. I moved my broad beans [which had been hardening off in the mini-greenhouse into the raised bed. And the fuchsias went from the bathroom windowsill into the greenhouse - eventually destined for the front border under my bedroom window.

My fig tree is almost 20 years old- a gift from Liz for our Silver Wedding in 2004. In Kirby it lived in the conservatory and was covered in figs every summer. We moved it here when we went to Dorset, and it has not fruited since!

In the high winds, a piece of wood blew into the side of the plastic pot [now brittle with age] and seriously damaged it. Bob kindly bought me a new glazed, frostproof pot* as a birthday present.
I hope the new pot, and the sunny location beside the summerhouse will mean we might get fruit this year- there are a number of leaves beginning to show.
* It is a Woodlodge product, rejoicing in the rather ugly name of the Kok Knob Pot
On their final morning before returning to London, we looked after J&R. They enjoyed sitting in the summerhouse for elevenses with Grandad. It was really sunny and pleasant. 

JIGSAW GIVEAWAY- Heather, your name came out of the hat, please can you email me, and I will get the puzzle in the post to you.



20 comments:

  1. Very excited to have won the puzzle, thank you. How great to be able to sit out in the refurbished summerhouse. It's been cold and windy here in the South West. Hopefully we will have a dry and warmer day today so we can walk the dog along Burnham seafront.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the sunshine. Puzzle should be on its way before too long I hope 📦👍😊

      Delete
  2. What a lovely photograph and I’m looking forward to sitting out soon in our gazebo. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may stop sewing and sit in the garden later

      Delete
  3. I hope the fig tree will grow well in its new pot and produce lots of lovely figs this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish I could have a garden where I live but we have a small yard with unhealthy trees all around so it seems that the only thing that really grows well is moss and toadstools!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last year a neighbour gifted me a huge basket of fresh figs, I'd not eaten them often before but they were delicious and I quite understand your efforts to encourage your fig tree to bear fruit, hope it does well .
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like fresh figs, Bob doesn't. I hope they grow this summer

      Delete
  6. I give my fig tree lashings (well a can when I remember!) of comfrey tea. It also grows in a glazed pot and last year, which was a stellar year, it gave me a dozen or so delicious figs as well as lots that didn’t quite make it. They are hungry feeders but you don’t want lots of leafy growth at the expense of fruit so getting the balance right can be tricky. You need.more phosphates to encourage fruiting and less nitrogen - and comfrey tea seems to work for me. It’s a beautiful day here in the South Downs and after a garden visit this morning (Vann which is on Gardener’s World tonight!) I’m going out now into my garden to pot on tomatoes, plant out and tie in sweet peas and sow chard, spinach, beetroot and rocket - these are all good to direct sow in short rows as thinly as you dare in well-prepared soil or friable tilth the texture of crumble mix! Sarah in Sussex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah - loads of great tips here

      Delete
    2. Loads of great tips here, thanks

      Delete
  7. I hope your fig tree thrives and fruits in the new pot! I'm sure the girls loved having elevenses in the summerhouse with their grandad. So nice to get outside. Our weather is cool and rainy, but we have had a couple of warm sunny days that set us thinking about putting the roof on the gazebo, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to be looking forward to the warmer weather

      Delete
  8. How delightful to have the girls in the garden shelter!

    Did you and Bob disguss planting the fig in the ground? Hope you get figs this year!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was advised to keep it in a pot, and we don't really have anywhere appropriate to.plant it

      Delete
  9. Our fig tree is still in a pot and altho we've had figs, a naughty squirrel had them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame! 🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️

      Delete
  10. We had a super healthy fig tree when I lived in E.London but the one I have in a pot has not been at all successful. It's got quite a few little figs on it at the mo so maybe this is its year? Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!