Saturday 27 April 2024

Look After The Pence...

"I am going to be to be Very Thrifty for the next couple of months, Bob. You have been warned!" I announced this week. "How will I know?" he replied. Which is, I suppose, a valid question. I'm not known for my reckless prodigality. Buying myself that plaque on Monday still feels a bit wild and selfish!
But following the demise of all those household items [iron, steam mop, vacuum cleaner] and my car, there are now a load of medical bills forthcoming. Dentist, Podiatrist and Opticians bills don't come cheap [but in old age they definitely come more often, and are generally larger] 
So how am I going to be more careful ?
Diplomat, Polymath and Inventor, Ben Franklin, warned about Little Expenses, and I think he had a point.  I admit that I have got rather lazy in retirement, since we no longer have a monthly mortgage repayment hanging over us like the sword of Damocles. 

Just a few tweaks to my shopping habits could make a significant difference to my overall spending. Here are some things I think I should be doing
  • I need to be more disciplined about  taking my collapsible Stojo cup in my bag. If I buy a drink when I am out, using my own cup can usually save 50p.
  • and when I buy the aforementioned coffee, I must be firm and not have a piece of cake with it [thus benefiting waistline as well as wallet]
  • I need to get back to proper meal planning - it has got a little haphazard lately. 
  • and manage portion sizes at meal times. A pudding is a treat. Second helpings are an indulgence. If the pud serves four, then I must prepare half for the fridge or freezer before I put the dish on the table.
  • shopping trips must be more disciplined too. In the old days, if I bought something not on the list, I crossed off something else. 
Most of this stuff I know already, it is just making sure I do it. I have been strict with myself about not buying clothes following the Take Five rule. 
I went through my seed box, and realised I had almost all the seeds I needed for sowing my Raised Bed this year. I may take some spares to Gardening Club on Tuesday and see if there are any others on the Seed Exchange Table.
But actually I think Benjamin Franklin wasn't quite right. A small leak, if spotted in time, can easily be plugged. What sinks the ship is usually the large gash from the bit of the iceberg under the surface, that nobody could see. Or the violent storm that blows up out of nowhere.
We are going on holiday next month - and that will not be cheap - but we have been planning it for months, and putting aside the funds to pay for it.
It is the unexpected Big Bills that unsettle me. But I am confident that we will weather the storms. As Mum always said - the Lord will provide. 
I was in a public loo recently, and in front of me was this sign. [It seemed an odd location for such a motivational quote] But it reminded me not to fret - I have proved to myself [and the family] time and time again that I can manage on the tightest of budgets if I have to.Compared to so many others I am unbelievably rich - I am not complaining about my income, just my current inability to manage it properly. This is a Work In Progress.

PS Thank you for all the lovely comments yesterday about Rosie's Puppets 


14 comments:

  1. I did mean to comment yesterday about the wonderful glove puppets that you made, what a lovely idea of Rosie to volunteer Nanny's sewing skills.
    We are trying to be frugal too, yesterday was an allotment session, putting up sticks for runner beans, I planted lettuce, reddish and carrot seeds in a raised bed, all last years seeds so fingers crossed.
    We are on holiday a week today, not going too far as we have the dog but to an area I last went as a child.
    Hope you have no more unexpected expenses for a while and you have fun planning next month's holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather. I hope your holiday is a good one, and brings back haooy memories!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes we all let the reins slip regarding outgoings don't we? I found myself lately doing lots of little extra shops no reason just a habit and our grocery bill kept on going up. I've given myself a talking to and now stick to a big shop once a fortnight and our outgoings are much reduced. We have stopped the cake/scone with coffee another habit we had got into. Since doing that I've lost 4 kgs in weight but kept more pounds in my purse. I am sure you can do it as the sign said. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right about 'little top -up trips to the shops adding extra pennies' Well done on weight loss!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with watching the pence and plugging up those little leaky holes! They do make a big difference!
    Well done putting aside the funds for the upcoming holiday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Norrie and I had this conversation yesterday when I counted up the online food shopping for this month. Also bought myself a pair of expensive for me jeans as I was speaking in public last Thursday. A borrowed jacket, a well loved striped T-shirt, and a lovely pair of brogues completed the outfit. I wore a gifted pashmina over the top and took a beautiful leather handbag that was a gift. I am going to have to get back to exercising as the lurgy has made me so tired and demotivated and consequently weightier. Have a lovely weekend. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are doing public speaking, it is important to feel confident about your clothing [and check your shoes match!] Have a great weekend. I spent the morning helping Bob move some donated wood to The Shed. That was my exercise for the day!

      Delete
  5. I've had icebergs, storms and leaks in last two weeks with massive garage repair bills! I need my car though so the work had to be done. Just means my new glasses and kitchen flooring will have to wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to be a juggling act sometimes - but car bills usually come top of the list [and 'personal needs' often get pushed down]

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't worry about the plaque, we need beautiful things in our lives at times. You have identified the lapses in small spending and know how to fix them. I think we get off kilter at the end of winter when it just feels like we need that piece of cake or a biscuit with a cuppa. I like your idea of preparing half the pudding for the fridge or freezer before serving it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was brought up in a house where money was short, so I can be good at saving the pennies, lately we have had to have a lot done on our bungalow we bought just coming up to 3 years ago, but now we've said that's it. Only if the boiler goes wrong or the roof leaks we won't be spending any more money on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please don't mention elderly boilers...

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!