Wednesday 5 October 2011

At Your Own Convenience

We have been discussing whether or not to replace the loo seat at Cornerstones. The white plastic one currently installed is quite flimsy, and not very comfortable. But this is a fairly trivial matter, and not high on the shopping list. Passing Homebase the other day, Bob suggested we went in on a ‘fact-finding exercise’ to see exactly how much a replacement seat would cost.

looseats

I was amazed- they had dozens on display, priced between £10 and £60. We eliminated many on sight. I do not want anything with a slogan on it, odd items embedded in the acrylic, or anything brightly coloured-  and I do not need an ‘insert’ to make it a ‘family’ seat suitable for toddlers as well as adults.

We both agreed that a pine one would look good and go with the other wood already in the bathroom [the bath panel] But I was utterly intrigued by the £55 item described as

“a fashionable wrap over design with slow close function and antibacterial properties”

For that price, I would expect it to replace the loo roll when it ran out as well! And what does all that stuff mean anyway?

toilet duck discsI have been using Duck Gel discs recently. They were being sold off ridiculously cheaply in Sainsbury's when I was in there in July. I bought just one box.

I don’t think I like them very much. When freshly applied to the loo, they look like blue fruit pastilles – and after a few flushes they just look weird! Has anyone else used them? I am not surprised that the supermarket was selling them off. I do think we are becoming obsessed with cleanliness though.

I think I have been watching too many episodes of Spooks

7 comments:

  1. I managed to find a replacement loo seat at Homebase a few weeks ago for £5. It was on their clearance table, and is made from MDF. I think it was cheap because it is black , and most people have white loo seats, if the number of different white versions is anything to go by. It looks great in my loo with the black and white theme though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, yes you've got it bad ;-) Hope you managed to find a seat in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a titter at the toilet seat on the far left ...looks as though it would be at home in a pyramid.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. We moved into a house that had a wooden seat in one bathroom. It was replaced immediately. The wood was hard to clean and had become splintered. It didn't retain it's finish. I'd much rather have something smooth and very solid for thorough cleaning. Just a thought . . . . Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. In view of financial strictures, we are keeping the current white plastic seat for the time being.
    Jane - have you not read "To Kill A Mockingbird"? according to Jem Finch in ch 7, the Egyptians invented toilet paper [when they weren't In Denial!]

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, this is too much. "in Denial" ~ cute, Angela!
    What an assortment of loo seats! Plain white plastic ~ that's good. :-)
    I've used those Fresh Discs, but they're called something else here. Hubby says they smell! I don't know what's worse! Haven't bought anymore. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm quite disappointed you are not considering a seat with a motto on it. If I were less sleepy, I'm sure I could come up with some clever ones on my own, but if you have any to share, please do!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!