Monday 31 October 2011

Pumpkin Pleasures

pumpkins

We don’t “do” Halloween in this house- but I did pick up a small ‘eating’ pumpkin on the market for just 90p.

I cut it in half, and sliced a small amount off the top and bottom so the two ‘bowls’ would stand securely. Preheated oven - 200DSCF2572°C

I scooped out the flesh and seeds, and with the edge of a spoon, hollowed out the two bowls as neatly as I could. then I separated the flesh and the seeds into two bowls.

I brushed the bowls with a little olive oil and put them in the oven upside down on a baking DSCF2573sheet. Then I foraged in the fridge. I assembled one red pepper, two carrots, a small red onion, two cloves of garlic. I chopped all these up, along with the pumpkin flesh and cooked them for 5 minutes in a little olive oil. Then they went into a dish in the oven beside the ‘bowls’.

I cooked half a cup of rice with a cup of water and a teaspoonful of turmeric [to make it a lovely golden colour] Meanwhile I rinsed the seeds and spread them onto a second baking sheet.  In another bowl I assembled 2 tsp chopped rosemary, and 2 tsp chopped thyme, plus 5 dried apricots [chopped] and a tbsp sultanas. I stirred all this into the rice as it cooked.

DSCF2574I spread the pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet and popped them in the oven for 10mins. They’re now cooled and in a jar for use in other recipes. I can’t waste them!

DSCF2575

The pumpkin bowls cooked for about 35 minutes, and the filling was in the oven for about 25 minutes. Just before serving, I took the filing and mixed it with the rice. I served it in the pumpkin bowls, drizzled with a little olive oil and garnished with a sprig of rosemary.

This simple vegetarian dish was really tasty and looked beautifully golden and autumnal. Not bad for 90p and some fridge foraging!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great dinner. I'm afraid if it had been me the pumpkin seeds wouldn't have made it to a jar to save for later, I love eating roasted pumkin seeds. Interestingly Pumpkin is something I have discovered a liking to since being in India and they are available very cheaply here - about 30p for a decent sized one. I might have to try this idea one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't celebrate hallowe'en either but we have some Americans over working with the young people at church. They organised a "trunk or treat" on Saturday night where people decorated their car boot (or trunk) and gave out sweets etc. A huge number of non-church people came and decorated their cars and took part. It really worked well as an alternative to the more usual witches etc for hallowe'en.

    and I just loooove pumpkin too

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that looks lovely, if only I could get the rest of my family, or even just DH to eat something like that, still I might try it for myself!

    We don't do Halloween either :-)

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!