Saturday 29 October 2011

RIP Lucky Jim!

The death has just been announced of Sir Jimmy Savile, OBE aged 84

jimmy savile

A real eccentric if ever there was one, with such a diverse career. His first job was as a Bevin Boy in WW2. He is credited with inventing the discotheque – he was a great TV personality, and he raised millions of pounds for various charities. Many people will remember his “Jim’ll Fix It” which was the highlight of Saturday Night TV in the 1980’s. I know at least one little girl who wrote and asked him to fix it and buy her a horse, because her Daddy couldn’t afford one!

jimll_fix_it_1980_cover

Sorry Liz, I don’t think he is going to get round to answering that letter now. There are some great pictures on the Guardian website here.Jim may have had bizarre taste in clothes – but he was kind and generous – for that reason he will be missed.

5 comments:

  1. An icon of our youth. RIP Jim xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOD BLESS JIM! JIM'LL FIX IT WAS A FANTASTIC PROGRAMME! YOU MADE LOTS OF WISHES COME TRUE AND DID SO MUCH FOR OTHERS.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, I haven't heard any news all day. Oh no. Sad- he was my whole saturday night! Did you see the episode where the girl who wanted to be a fairytale princess went off to a Bavarian castle? I loved that one! I think she rode a horse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking about Jimmmy Saville just the other day and wondering where he was. He was a British institution of the most marvellous kind and a national treasure. I have fond memories of his various escapades and he made a huge difference to so many people's lives. He will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love his tv show and always wanted to be on it. RIP to a great and giving man.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!