Wednesday 19 October 2011

Great Scots!

“You can’t go wrong with a nice kilt” my Mum used to say. I suspect it was her student years in Glasgow which gave her a love of Caledonian things – like porridge, The People’s Friend, shortbread biscuits, Dr Finlay's Casebook, The White Heather Club…and kilts.

queen in kiltAlthough she meant kilts as a type of tartan skirt worn by ladies rather than the traditional male garb. After all, our own dear Queen has been promoting this fashion since she was a wee lassie on holiday at Balmoral!

And a lovely warm length of British woollen fabric wrapped round one’s hips in the winter weather is a good idea, with a lot to commend it. Johnnie Boden thinks so, in his latest catalogue I found this…

2011 kilt

A rather nice kilt-style skirt made from wool woven in Yorkshire.

But at £69 it is way beyond my pocket.

However I do have this book

sew-what-skirts

DSCF2562

I bought ‘Sew What Skirts’ when our ‘Borders’ was closing down, using a book token I’d had for my birthday – and as yet have not made anything from it. And in Button Boutique- Leicester’s best haberdashery shop, I asked Hannah to order me a set of these kilt straps.

And now I am just about finished the project that I had hoped to begin a month ago [here]

I should be posting pictures of my new kilt very soon. Watch this space.

I did try to check out the relevant tartan for the Almonds

creiff-almond

skene- hall

glenalmond

Top left is allegedly the one for the ‘Almonds’ top right is for the ‘Halls’ [my maiden name] and the lower one is ‘Glen Almond’

Both seem dire to me.This whole clan tartan thing is made up anyway – so my kilt is dependent on the fabric I have to hand!

Until then, here is Andy Stewart

This may make no sense at all to some of my readers abroad!!

14 comments:

  1. Are the straps the difference, then -- between a kilt and a skirt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mum, always used to insist that men had kilts and women had 'kilted skirts'... a distinction that was somewhat lost on me, save that women's wrap the opposite way to men's.

    I quite like the made-up-to-amuse-or-is-thta-confuse?-Queen-Victoria thing, it appeals to my snese of the ridiculous and is proper Scots humour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so proud of my kilt that I wore as a child, and sad when I grew too tall for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing the finished kilt. The girls always had kilts for Winter when they were little.You could get them with a bodice piece attached that was like the top of a full length underskirt, which provided extra warmth. One of these worn with tights and a jumper kept them toasty warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing your finished Kilt. Fascinated with Scarlet's comment as I was just coming to say how I remember wearing those same skirts when I was little, a kilted skirt with an underskirt top...worn with a jumper over and tights under!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that skirt and can't wait to see your kilt. My brother-in-law is of a Scottish heritage and has a couple of kilts he wears for special occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE LOVE LOVE kilts and bought myself one this year! The Boden kilt is lovely but as you say, a little pricey! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Canadians seem obsessed with kilts. Many weddings are full kilt kit! Private school uniform skirts are always kilts. We have a Scottish shop an hour or so away where they will custom make your kilt for you. I saw fewer kilts while I was living in Scotland!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I have even had a kilt unless you count the kilt I wore when playing hockey in school and that was all black.....

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use to wear a kilt when I was a young girl.
    More like in the first photo, as far as length goes. There are some Scots and Scot wannabe's here, that are big into kilts and family tartans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A red kilt with a big kilt pin and some red socks to go with it. I remember it well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to see your completed skirt/kilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! this post has generated so many comments. I had better get on and finish the skirt!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!