A few years back, my Auntie Peggy gave me a table runner one Christmas. It is polyester and has white and gold embroidery. It was just the thing to drape over the stand we were using at Church for the Advent Candles this year. Unfortunately I discovered that a spark had somehow burned a hole in the central section, and left a mark. The fabric had melted and discoloured badly.
I decided that I could perhaps embroider a white dot over the mark, but that I would then need to do another on the other side to balance it. However I was not sure that I could do a neat enough job of hand stitching without puckering the thin fabric.
I set up my embroidery machine, and went to the Gothic Font section – then embroidered a couple of large full stops! Machine embroidery thread has a good sheen and although these two dots are not invisible, they look better than the black burn mark.
I suspect that the spark happened when one of the matches was struck for lighting the candles.
At least it only melted a tiny hole – it would have created a stir if the whole cloth had gone up in flames halfway through the service!