Wednesday 19 July 2023

A Day In King's Lynn

 After a morning of lifting the dismantled old bedroom furniture into the loft, with more help from Julian, [Bob was out till 11.30] the three off us went to Kings Lynn for the day. We had a filling lunch at Roasta, went to an art exhibition [it is KL Festival week] and walked round the town, along the riverbank, and visited the Minster. Recent heavy rains caused serious flooding in a couple of areas - and they were sectioned off, with red and white chains across the pews.
The Minster is currently celebrating the 650th Anniversary of Margery Kempe - a significant medieval mystic [author of the first spiritual autobiography in English] Born in the year that Julian of Norwich experienced her 'Shewings', Mrs Kempe visited J. on a number of occasions.
There is an interesting new statue* of Margery in the Minster. “A Woman in Motion” is a sculpture depicting Margery Kempe, created by sculptrix Rosemary Goodenough. Margery was an avid pilgrim, journeying to holy shrines across England, in Europe and all the way to Jerusalem. She is depicted as wearing a wide-brimmed hat typical of medieval pilgrims. Reflecting her arduous journeys and selfless giving of alms, Margery’s clothes are “although plentiful, very clearly torn and patched but still with an element of grace and elegance”. Although a wife and mother [of fourteen children!], Margery was determined to wear white as a sign of her chastity and devotion to Christ. This was reflected by the artist as “given her determination to wear white, for which she was persecuted and prosecuted, I have made her robes white but her dress is silvery aluminium as I wanted to give a nod to her love of finery”. Regarding Margery’s posture, the artist states that “Margery’s head is bent in prayer and her ‘top-knot’ is my way of denoting indomitable spirit, both secular and religious”.
As well as the Minster, we also went to The Fermoy Gallery - it is Kings Lynn Festival time, and we enjoyed looking at the art.
I'm not as keen on modern art as Bob, but I did see some pieces I liked, particularly those by Eric Ravilious.
There were excellent drawings from WW1 [Brangwyn's pictures of soldiers at Ypres] and art from WW2 [John Piper's ruined Coventry Cathedral]  and in between these two, art from the 20s and 30s. [Jacob Epstein, Vanessa Bell, Frank Dobson - and perhaps a little less popular these days, Eric Gill**]
We came back via Downham Market, to drop off a parcel for Bob's sister with her MIL. Then on the way home, made a quick stop at Bexwell. It is three years since we first visited the War Memorial here. Back then, I was concerned that the wooden panel was not weathering well. I'm glad to see the new memorial is made of strong metal, and much more visible. There are the two Victoria Crosses, and statistics about the different planes which flew from the nearby WW2 airbase.
A lovely day out as a family - Julian's Grandfather was in the RAF, and it was good to remember him as we stood quietly in the sunshine.

*I looked at the statue for quite a while and couldn't make it out - then I read the info panel about the hat and the topknot and it began to make more sense. Maybe if I had 14 children to cope with, I'd pack my bag and set off on a long pilgrimage of quiet meditation! 

**Seen in isolation, much of Gill's art is amazing - but once one knows what an odious and perverted person he was, it is hard to have the same appreciation of it. Can one separate the art from the abuser? 

19 comments:

  1. Margery was some woman wasn’t she,fourteen children, but determined to have her own life and destiny. I had to look long and hard at the photo, and with your help, then understand it. It was great to see where you had been. Love Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without the explanatory panel alongside, I would never have worked it out either!. I really must research Margery and Julian a little more.

      Delete
  2. The information about the statue was really interesting to read. 14 children though...
    I spend time where Eric Gill used to live. It's a pity that such beautiful art comes from someone so dodgy! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  3. We really hope to visit Norfolk soon but Norrie’s ongoing eye treatment means it will probably be next year now. I do find it difficult to separate the art from the abuser, as I feel the art was a product of an evil mind. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope B's eye issues are swiftly and satisfactorily resolved, and you can visit our fine county. The abuser/art thing is very complex

      Delete
  4. I just finished a novel about Margery Kempe, called Revelations by Mary Sharratt. It was a serendipitous find as I was looking for something from our local library about Julian of Norwich. It was a most interesting read & now you are writing about a statue tribute to her ... a woman I never heard of, popping up in several ways. Ummmm.... and now I'm reading a novel that centres around the plot about a play written by a murder & once that information comes out no one wants to be part of the play or production of it. The question the characters ask are the very same question about the statue's creator "Can one separate the art from the abuser? "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must look out for that novel. πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

      Delete
  5. Took me ages to work the figure out. She'd have been a gonner with that topknot in a prevailing wind or an electrical storm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Anne, what a great comment! πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  6. The debate has risen to the forefront of the art world here in the U. S. as it has all over the world as our favorite musicians, writers, actors, and — most recently — animators have been exposed for their problematic views and actions. As consumers, we must be mindful of where we spend our money and who receives our glorification, but is it realistic to completely remove these artists from the mainstream? At the end of the day, giving due respect and support to victims is more important than a piece of artwork. Can we acknowledge their contributions without allowing celebrity status to enable and normalize abuse and bigotry? Instead of complete cancellation and artwork erasure, is providing room for artists to grow and become better humans allowing for healing on all ends? It seems to me real changes in the culture within these art spaces and music scenes can occur through calling out wrongdoing and remembering the stories of victims. But then again, I'm not entirely sure and am open to listening to other points of view b/c I'm uncertain.

    I'm particularly bothered by the hymn composer David Haas. He wrote some of my favorite hymns such as “You are Mine,” “We are Called,” and “Blest are They,” among others. It makes me sad to think that I'll never experience them as worship songs again.

    So many issues to wrestle with...so many questions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan for such a considered comment, with lots to think about

      Delete
  7. The Margery story - how fascinating, in fact the whole pilgrimage thing interests me - maybe one day I'll do one!
    I love Eric Revilious Art, sounds like a good day out after all your hard work.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on a pilgrimage to Norfolk ! Glad someone else enjoys ER too πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

      Delete
    2. Xx
      Alison x

      Delete
  8. I'm also an ER fan. (He was no saint either but neither were the rest of his circle. At least they were all adults) I can't separate art and the person very easily especially when children are involved; there was a children's author I loved but his books have disappeared because of his unacceptable behaviour towards young girls. And I taught the whole primary school 'Sun arise, he come every morning ' with instruments and percussion for an end of school year celebration the year before that all exploded. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend had a beautiful portrait of his beloved late wife - but it was by RH. He kept it on his wall, because of the subject, not the painter. It's a difficult one, isn't it?

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a wonderful day; you visit such interesting places! My great grandmother had 14 children, the eldest of whom was my maternal grandmother. Much of the actual child care fell on my grandmother, who used to tell us stories of how she had to draw up bucket after bucket of water from the well to bathe all her younger siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure your Gran shared many wonderful stories with you. Large families are the exception nowadays rather than commonplace

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!