Monday 24 July 2023

Sleeping Beauty

We did work very hard last week, getting all the new furniture sorted. As promised, pictures of the new bedroom. It has been lovely sleeping in the newly redecorated space. There is adequate space in the drawers, and everything is properly organised.
I have got rid of a lot of clutter - and moved non-bedroom items to their correct locations. I already had some Skubb storage boxes, and I purchased a couple more sets. They fit IKEA Malm units perfectly, so it has been easy to sort pants/socks/hankies/tights into tidy units within the drawers. Similarly, my hairdryer, brush, comb etc fit into the largest size box, and no longer clutter the top surface.

The set of drawers on the left display my Great Grandmother's oil lamp [in a high, safe place away from inquisitive children and clumsy grans] and in the summer months, a cooling fan.  Also a small phial of 'fragrance sticks' and an Echo Dot. On the 'long run' of shelves there will be no clutter. I can put a tray with our morning cuppa there though. 
Currently the little blue vase holds some amazing dried allium heads. I bought four allium bulbs at RHS Bridgwater last September, when I was staying with Steph in Manchester. The blooms lasted ages, then dried on their stems in the pot by the front door. I cut them and brought them inside- they're 7cm globes, [imagine the skeletons of tennis balls, if there were such a thing] 
The repainted blue chair looks so good, and in the space to the side of the wardrobe, we've stashed four folding chairs, ideal when we have a lot of extra dinner guests.
I have also relocated the ancient plastic laundry bin [purchased in 1977, before I met Bob] It is now in the loft, holding fabric. After much searching, we found this neat little bamboo model in Homebase. And if you are wondering why it 'interrupts' the run of units, it is because the electric socket is behind it - and with the bin there, we can get easy access. It all feels so fresh and airy, and I hope it will encourage restful sleep for us both.
What is your best tip for a restful bedroom?



34 comments:

  1. I think my best tip would be to employ you as interior designer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob is the one with style - I just made the bed and organised the contents of the drawers!

      Delete
  2. It looks beautiful and I really like the light color of your new furniture. My bedroom is very much in disarray at the moment. Do you and Bob do overseas house calls? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I would love to visit you, Bless! But it would be to appreciate your company, and your gardening and cooking skills, not to do redecorating!!

      Delete
  3. It looks gawjus!!!😍 Kxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sleek, Angela. It is lovely having a 'new' bedroom isnt it? Good old Ikea, we made regular trips to our nearest when in France (kitchen, bedroom etc) but there isnt a nearby one here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cornwall [the Deep South] and Norfolk [the Far East] don't seem to merit the presence of an IKEA store, do they?

      Delete
  5. Your colours are lovely and it's a spacious and peaceful looking room. I think keeping all the technology out of a bedroom helps it to be restfull! ( wish my husband would😂)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to be more disciplined about this too. It is many years since we banned the TV from the bedroom.

      Delete
  6. It looks really nice. And it motivates me to clear some of the clutter from my bedroom surfaces! I have some things that I put down a few weeks ago and haven't moved!! I really should follow the advice "Don't put it down. Put it away"! Love FD xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good phrase, one I need to tell myself more often than I do

      Delete
  7. Lovely! I like the lightness and how tidy it all is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have kept up the tidiness for a whole week. This may be a Personal Best!

      Delete
  8. It looks great, smooth lines and lack of clutter.
    To aid restful sleep I sometimes put neat lavender essential oil on a dry flannel and pop it near our pillows - you don't need too much - I think it helps prevent snoring a little:-)
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lavender bags in my knicker drawer - but not put the fragrance near the pillows. Will try that idea. Thank you

      Delete
  9. That looks lovely, and very restful!
    We're in the middle of stripping all the wallpaper from our bedroom walls, ready for the ceiling and walls to be plastered in another three weeks.
    The papers coming off easily, but then we have to remove the coving, which has been there for 35 years, it'll either drop straight off, or be stuck fast!
    For a restful bedroom, I recommend blackout blinds and blackout curtains, ours is super dark when we want it to be! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although we have 'daylight' blinds, the curtains are lined "Blackout" ones from John Lewis, and work brilliantly. Back bedroom has regular, lined curtains and an inner blackout blind. I agree, the darkness really helps - when we have grandchildren sleeping over, and also because our room is ground floor, front, and neighbours' car headlights can be very disturbing sometimes

      Delete
  10. Such a great end result with great teamwork. I love the clean and simple lines. Those Allium heads look great at Xmas time sprayed gold or silver. I got rid of loads last week and the purge continues. Having a buy nothing FB group helps when people come to collect. Today my lovely neighbour helped me with an old chest of drawers that was beyond repair and she and I got it into the back of my Polo. Different story when I took it to the council tip! Guess how many men it took to get it out of the car? Five!!!That's all I'm saying about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe in a few weeks, I will change the floral decoration, and put the allium to one side to be sprayed as you suggest. I have had similar experiences at the Tip as well! 😉

      Delete
  11. We have the same Malm furniture except two high chests and two bedside cabinets as we have fitted wardrobes. Our feature wall is green and I am currently searching for bedside lamps which will allow me to see to read in bed. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cannot see in the photo, we have white glass Grono lamps (ikea £9) which we got ages ago. In the back bedroom a Forsa work lamp. They give a good light without glaring. It was on my desk in Dorset, it's an anglepoise adjustable lamp.

      Delete
  12. How serene, peaceful, and just pretty your new bedroom is! You and Bob are a good team at decoratiing, too!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You must be so happy with such a successful result, and the fabric on the chair ties in beautifully with the bed cover. It certainly looks restful and I agree with JennyP about technology. I would hate to have TV in the bedroom, too. We did have to put blackout liners with our curtains, but when some animal makes the shed light come on, we can see that light coming at the top of the curtains. Then I sometimes get up and look out. Saw a small raccoon one night recently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! A raccoon - not likely to be seen here in Norfolk

      Delete
  14. The room looks beautiful. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love your bedroom it quietly 'shouts' peace and serenity 😊. Interesting to see how your units look in the wood colour compared to Ben's in the black. May you have many restful nights in your clutter free room xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I noticed that his were black - probably more appropriate for a teenager's room!

      Delete
  16. What a lovely calming and peaceful room, just what you need for a bedroom, and your revamped chair fits in perfectly.

    My best tip for a restful bedroom is as little furniture as possible and no sleeping pets ... especially if one of them is a snoring Pug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We have no pets, but both snore occasionally

      Delete
  17. Your bedroom looks so peaceful. I think a tidy bedroom is good for the sleep. And not TV!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!