Wednesday 5 July 2023

Trading A Duster For A Dior Dream

A friend lent me a DVD over the weekend. I watched it on Monday evening whilst Bob was out at his Parish Council meeting.

Mrs Harris goes to Paris  is based on a Paul Gallico story. Set in the 1950s, it is the story of a  Cor Blimey Cockney Cleaner, who dreams of wearing a Dior gown as glamorous as one owned but one of the ladies for whom she works. Mrs H - played by Lesley Manville - comes into money, and flies off to Paris to buy the dress and live her dream. 
Yes it's predictable - her inability to understand French, and total naivety about how the great fashion house operates, snobbishness and sweetness, sadness and success. And triumph and tragedy. The plot sweeps along, frothy as a ballgown, with moments of sparkle. And ultimately friendship and hope triumph as they should... 

Maybe not "great cinema" but definitely a feelgood movie. I enjoyed it enormously - working on those prom gowns last month really put me in the mood for such a film!
*****


19 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'd enjoy it, Bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris when I was a teenager and thoroughy enjoying it. Might watch the video but I remember the enchantment of the book. Interesting that the video title changes the original spelling of the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting about the title. The two earlier films (with Gracie Fields & Angela Lansbury) both called her Mrs `Arris. Printed editions of the book appear to be inconsistent about the cockney dropped H.

      Delete
  4. I caught up with this one a couple of months ago and agree with your review. I enjoyed it too, especially as I can remember the fifties, with all the glamorous ball gowns of the film stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those lovely New Look swirling skirts and tiny waists, after the austerity of clothes rationing.

      Delete
  5. The Dior exhibition in London a few years ago was crowded but a feast for the eyes. I bought the book - the outfits are works of art.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember it was on, but could not go. The book must be a delight to look through

      Delete
  6. I read it many years ago, but found the ending sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am afraid I have not read the book - I suspect the film has altered the ending. I guess Hollywood wants Dior&Disney princesses to always "live happily ever after"! I'm sure if Disney had made "Titanic" , instead of James Cameron, they would have just sailed on past the iceberg...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I must have a bit of Mrs. Harris about me! I used to hold up the gowns of my boss in front of the mirror to see what I'd look like 'posh'! Not a hope of ever trying one on, she belonged to 'The League of Thin Ladies'! I really suit real diamond earrings by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you noticed that these gowns are only suitable for women with 18" waists?

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed the books so much. I have not seen the movie. I do like Leslie Manville as an actress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see her in Magpie Murders recently?

      Delete
  10. I hadn't realised there was a book of the film! I'm off to hunt it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was originally published as "Flowers for Mrs Harris"

      Delete
  11. Never heard of the book or the movie, but I think I would enjoy the movie a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!