Sunday 30 July 2023

Pax Et Bonum

This Latin phrase was beloved by St Francis, and means "peace and all good" - something he encouraged those who joined this order to practise in their daily lives. Last Sunday, the Radio 4 Sunday Worship was all about the good saint, and I found it an interesting service [if a little different from the usual pattern!] And then, in the way these things come full circle, on Thursday I actually met 

this Franciscan Monk in Norwich! Samuel Terrelli is a member of the Secular Franciscan Order of Norwich and he was busking outside the Mountain Warehouse Shop in London Street. 
I heard the music before I saw him, wearing his dark brown habit, and playing a large woodwind instrument [a sort of recorder I think] He was playing "Bind Us Together". It lifted my spirits.
 I stopped to fish a coin out of my purse, and as I dropped it in his little wooden bowl, he began playing "Be Thou My Vision" "Great tune, thank you!" I said.
"Which one?" he enquired. I said It was Bind Us Together that caught my attention, but I love the other one even more.
Samuel said that someone had told him that Bind Us Together was not originally a Christian Song, but had roots in Druid Handfasting ceremonies.
We chatted about the things that bound us together - a shared concern for others, a concern for creation, and a shared faith in God. We spoke of belonging to the worldwide family of Christ - and of our local churches [mine is at a little Baptist Chapel out in a village - his is the Roman Catholic Cathedral in the middle of the city]
I went on my way feeling very cheerful to have met him - may God bless the good work he is doing in his community. 
I checked up on 'Bind Us Together' - it seems that Samuel was misinformed. Although some handfasting ceremonies do have songs with similar lyrics, itr seems that this one was written in 1974 by a guy called Bob [who had actually attended the same secondary school as cousin Gillian] 
May your Sunday be blessed with peace and goodness, and filled with love




16 comments:

  1. There is also an Anglican Fransican community, active all over the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how faith can reach across what looks like broad divides.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely encounter, and lovely that there are still many folk happy to stand up in front of others to share their faith.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely post! I'm glad you met him! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A really nice guy. I hope I see him again

      Delete
  5. Thank you for a glorious start to my morning here! JanF

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Saturday was filled with peace and goodness! My eldest took me out for a posh lunch, followed by a screening of 'Oppenheimer' at a posh cinema (velvet sofas with cushions and waitress service), while his wife was abroad with the 3yr old visiting her father. It made me feel like a Mum again, just the two of us in a whole uninterrupted day. Total bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds utterly wonderful. How lovely to have special 1-to-1 time with your son like that. Please share a review of the film sometime!

      Delete
  7. I am pleased you had this encounter. I have met Samuel and he has had a fascinating spiritual journey. As you say, a very pleasant person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely to know you met him too Philip - maybe next time I see him, he will tell me more about that journey

      Delete
  8. What a lovely story, he sounds like such a lovely chap - my lovely friend is a third order Franciscan. hope you've had a lovely day, many blessings upon your week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And may your week be lovely, and full of love too

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!