Monday 3 July 2023

The Birds...

The latest parcel from Kirsten arrived on Friday. In the little notebook which accompanies each piece, she explained that she'd spent ages trying to work out how to do

"A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon"

but after nearly two weeks of recharting, she gave up. It annoyed her, as she could see the design  'in her mind's eye' very clearly. I sympathise, I've often had an idea in my head which I cannot get out onto the fabric! She turned instead to birds - having downloaded a facsimile C19 book of charts and borders. These were very cheap, and very popular 150 years ago. She found two birds, face to face on screen - and notice fat pigeons outside in her garden. The border in the book had a flower pattern, but she adapted an alphabet instead.

It is stitched in a vibrant green cotton perle. This has a lovely finish - quite different from the usual 6-strand floss we've been using. 


The alphabet is cursive, lower case, and I think has a wonderful folk are appearance

I flicked through some of my books, and found that birds are an incredibly popular motif. Some 'accurate' others more fantastic in design. And often perching among foliage.

My "flat gift" was a charming needle keeper - very thoughtful, as I'd actually left my needle in the cloth last time I posted it. Oops! I've been considering these for ages, and the other week I was comparing stitching with Rev Rachael, [the new vicar] and she said she finds hers really useful. This one is so pretty. Thanks K.

I'd actually been thinking about doing something 'ornithological' too- but quickly gave up as my ideas were far too complicated.


16 comments:

  1. What a lovely green bird! The needle keeper is lovely, too, and very useful! I misplaced a needle the other day when I put it down to tend to Dancer - I've checked under the sofa cushions, on the floor under the sofa, and I've checked the quilt I was mending, but, no sign of the missing needle! I'm afraid I've let it slip into the quilt wadding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Bless, I do hope you find it - without pain!!

      Delete
  2. I'm amused you switched from birds to Bees and I went from Bees to birds for the design this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it strange! ๐Ÿฆ๐Ÿ๐Ÿฆ๐Ÿ๐Ÿฆ๐Ÿ

      Delete
  3. I'm enjoying seeing your sewing swaps each month - loved the colours on your sewing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That green is so fresh and vibrant. My picture does not do it justice

      Delete
  4. Kirsten's design is charming! I love the vibrant green. Plus, the needle minder is really attractive!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anon (guessing you might be Kezzie!)

      Delete
  5. Could you do something to remind you of the good part of your holiday in Scotland? The green stitching is so vibrant and I love the alphabet edging. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Scottish idea is a good one. I shall ponder on that. Thank you

      Delete
  6. Lovely needlework and I hope Bless finds that needle. Might a magnet help?
    I have 16 spools of delicious perle cotton and haven't used any yet. What am I waiting for?

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love looking at all the beautiful colours lined up rainbow ๐ŸŒˆ fashion

      Delete
  7. Hi, yu probably haven't heard from us for ages. We now live in Sandbach in Cheshire, where we moved to get abig enough house to accommodate Martin's mum.
    We have recently been on holiday in Norfolk, but I forgot my address book. the Vincebts and Tarlings also live in Norfolk.
    Anyway, I dip into your blog occasionally, and was interested to see that you were in Sheringham on Wednesday 21st, so were we! We missed the steam train at Holt, so came up to Sheringham to catch it, After the journey to Holt and back, we had lunch in Sheringham, and a good wander round the shops. I even took a picture of the museum! Little did I know that you were in there.
    Not sure when or ifwe will be back in Norfolk, I will be 80, DV next year Not sure that I will make it to 98, as Martin's Mum did, albeit she ended up in care. Alzheimer's is horrible.
    Staywell and God bless you both
    Pat (& Martin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat, lovely to hear from you! It would have been great to meet up in Sheringham. Haven't seen the Vincent's since our Ruby Wedding, just before lockdown. Our daughters in laws live in Sandbach. Much love to you both!

      Delete
  8. The green bird design is really charming. I've never seen a needle keeper like that before. I keep one or two in the pin cushion, and I still have a little needle book (white cloth pages, felt cover) that my cousin made when she was little. She is 76 now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made many little needle books as gifts when I was younger. So useful

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!