Sunday 16 July 2023

The Other Slide

 My Grandad died just before I was 8, but I still have a few good memories. One especially - something had happened and left me feeling very sad. I went down the garden to his shed where he did his woodworking, to talk to him about it. I told him I couldn't stop thinking about the sad thing.
"You know the slide projector we have at church, Ang, which we use to show pictures. The carrier holds two slides at a time. One slide goes in, and then your Dad pushes it across to the next slide, and swaps the first one over... And the pictures keep changing?" I knew what he was talking about.
"Well sometimes your mind fills up with a sad or bad picture and you can't seem to see anything else. What you need to do is always keep a good picture in reserve. Something special and beautiful - your Dad's smile, Mum standing at the school gate, your favourite flower... Then when there's a bad picture, quickly push it out of the way and focus on the other slide, that will help you to feel brighter."
Grandad told me that Paul, in the Bible, wrote a letter to his friends in Philippi encouraging them to have another picture in reserve [not that Paul used slide projectors] I've never forgotten Grandad's advice. The media this week has been full of unpleasantness of one sort and another. I've tried not to dwell on it, but rather to push the "other slide" into place, and think of better things. It really helps me - I recommend it


14 comments:

  1. Our minds and thoughts are powerful things, aren't they? We are able to change how we feel by changing our thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed they are. I know how much meditation means to you, Bless! ❤️👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a thought provoking post today-thank you. Mindfulness has finally taught me to do this but I love the analogy of changing the slide. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good analogy (for those of us who remember slide projectors)

      Delete
  4. A lovely verse from a beautiful chapter. I've often thought how meaningful that verse was, as Paul was writing from a cold, comfortless prison cell. Thankyou. Love Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Isabel - the context makes it e en more meaningful

      Delete
  5. Your Grandad was a wise man! What a brilliant example to teach a good lesson for life.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wise Granddad he was. I've sometimes thought in terms of "flipping the record" and playing the good side, but I like the idea of the slide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful scripture and lesson. It's so easy to get stuck in negative thinking. Changing the slide is the right idea!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!