Friday 31 July 2015

Predictable Picnics?

P1010972

The sun was shining, so I quickly packed a picnic and we went off to Hunstanton. Here is Bob, sitting on the grass after lunch, enjoying the sunshine. It was fantastic – now we are back and I am about to prepare a meal as Adrian and Marion are coming for the evening.

Thanks for all the comments on the last post – especially ElizabethD’s brilliant suggestion about a few elastic straps in the lid for napkins and tablecloth. I shall add them soon. But I have a confession –despite my Glyndebourne-worthy hamper, my picnics are often rather predictable.

picnic1I have grand ideas about fancy sandwiches wrapped in paper and tied neatly, interesting desserts in screwtop jars, fresh cherries served over ice , and in my wildest dreams, those lunches all packed inside the loaf picnic2of bread.

In reality, the sun is suddenly shining, so I sling a few items into the bag [or hamper]and we hit the road as fast as we can.

The Very Uninspiring Almond Family Picnic is almost always as follows, for each person there will be

  1. A round of sandwiches [ham or cheese, and a bit of salad]
  2. Bag of crisps
  3. A Yogurt
  4. A piece of fruit
  5. A Tunnocks, Breakaway or Penguin bar [or Lidl equivalent]
  6. A can or carton of drink

Just occasionally, if there is some in the tin, there will be a piece of cake. And if it is very cold, there will be a flask of coffee.

Please reassure me that others of you serve up my sort of picnic – and that the Jamie-Oliver-Feast is for those high days and holidays when you have had ages to plan and prepare!

10 comments:

  1. Although the food is significant, I am of the opinion that the company and the location make the picnic and the most simple food is delicious with a good view and someone interesting to chat with - and I am sure you had both today xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have thought to text you this morning - we were certainly in your direction, and could have perhaps met up. Sorry!!

      Delete
    2. No problem - there will be other days, other times! Life has been pretty busy here this week too xxx

      Delete
  2. Well, I think it's wonderful that you actually go on picnics! Your lunch sounds like fine fare to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even the most mundane of sandwiches tastes great eaten outdoors on a blanket in a lovely spot. We sometimes don't even bother with making sandwiches, if it's a lovely day and we make a snap decision to go out.....we just buy a bag of chips from a local chippy when we get there. Nothing better than a bag of freshly made chips with salt & vinegar eaten with your fingers whilst sitting on the sea wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - Hot, fresh chips eaten outside beside the sea are THE best takeaway!

      Delete
  4. mine is normally houmous and carrots, a prepacked salad, strawberries, a pork pie or scotch egg for the husband, and some M&S gin in a tin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this feast will keep your new husband very happy!

      Delete
  5. Your kind of picnic sounds extremely similar to mine! Glad the sunshine arrived! J xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Egg sandwiches with sand adhering to them...childhood picnics!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!