Saturday 18 March 2017

Home In The Daytime - But No Home At Night...

In a recent blog post I mentioned my newly re-covered ironing board. My blogfriend Frugally Challenged asked what became of the remainder of the circular tablecloth which I had used for the previous cover. 
There was a small amount left, so yesterday afternoon I made another doll's dress for 'Lucy'. I cut it very carefully to make use of the curved hem and the border print. 
I think it has worked well.
I'm making clothes for two American Girl Dolls now, so I also produced two little tops using a piece of striped shirting fabric someone gave me. They have elasticated necklines and cuffs, and fasten down the back with Velcro.
I have been incredibly busy with a rather special sewing project recently, so spending an afternoon with the Sewing machine was a pleasant diversion. 
Last night was something completely different altogether. 
Our youth group at church have been thinking about the problems of refugees and they did a [short] charity sponsored walk round the area in the early evening. When they got back to the church car park, it was quite dark. They found a refugee lying huddled in a sleeping bag, under a tarpaulin strung between two trees. They had the chance to ask questions and discuss how it must feel.
I was playing the part of the refugee, and dressed in my brother's ancient NHS donkey jacket, my SILs 1980s dungarees [normally worn for painting] and an old long blonde wig. I wasn't recognised [except by a couple of very bright teenagers who know me quite well] 
Bob's photos taken in the dark didn't come out very satisfactorily. Interestingly I walked to church through the town. I noticed people looked at me, but if I caught their eye, then they immediately looked away. I sat down at a bus stop, and the woman at the other end of the seat [who had been looking all round at things before I got there] turned away and moved up to the other end of the bench. That didn't feel pleasant.
Once at the church, I was so tired I actually fell asleep lying on the ground. So when the kids came back, and stood round shining their torches and whispering, I was genuinely startled.
If I could feel uneasy over just a short time like that, in the town where I live, and in the grounds of my own church, what must it be like for genuine refugees wandering alone in search of safety and shelter?



5 comments:

  1. This is a very thought provoking piece and I agree with you but would also add what about any homeless people not just refugees. Of course another element to the refugees plight would be language barrier, but I think we should all think long and hard about trying to help homeless people whatever their persuasion, nationality, etc. I found it hard to read when you said about the woman in the bus shelter who chose not to look at you, homeless people become invisible to a lot of people who would otherwise be quite caring. I wonder why that is? I am sure your ruse made the youngsters really question the plight of any one without a roof over their head and somewhere warm and dry to sleep. Thank you, regards Sue H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right to remind us to think about ALL those who are homeless. Years ago I heard a Social Worker say "I could take you to half a dozen places within a short distance of this church where you can find homeless 'rough sleepers' - and one lady said she didn't believe him, because she had never seen them. As you say, they'd 'become invisible' to her.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for that! You continue to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that is a lovely dress which Lucy has now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thankyou- but the inspiration did come from YOU!!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!