Saturday 8 September 2018

Zero Waste Week - My Results

On Sunday evening, I emptied all the bins inside the house, so I could see exactly what did get thrown away.  These were my rules;

  • items which went into the food caddy under the sink did not count, as these are collected regularly by the council for their anaerobic digester- it is turned into compost, soil improvers, and is an energy source. 
  • items which went into the general recycling bin did not count - glass, paper, cans, and some plastics can be recycled into new products.
  • everything else would either go into one container in the kitchen or into the bathroom bin. These two would be considered my 'waste for the week'
  • finally, I would make every effort to avoid accumulating uneccessary waste - carrying a cotton shopping bag, and a travel mug when I went out and refusing receipts when I could [sometimes a receipt is necessary for proof of purchase]

So how did I get on?
I put the wipes from the bathroom bin in a small charity bag that came through the door, and that, along with my kitchen [nonfood] and other rubbish fitted inside a small jar.
Also in the picture is a ramekin and a small jiffy bag. They represent the ramekin which jumped off the shelf and smashed, and the bag I used to contain the resulting bits of glass! 
Here's my bin with the waste from the jar - a small layer on the bottom. 
The wheelie bin says 140litres on the top. I had between 200 - 250ml of "landfill" rubbish over the five days. If that was my regular waste, it would take 8 YEARS to fill my bin. 
I know this is unrealistic - food shopping at the weekend will yield more plastic wrapping. 
Do you think the Zero-Waste gurus who say "my family makes just one jar of waste a year" never ever smash anything? [or replace their phone or laptop]






2 comments:

  1. I found I could not 'do' zero waste. I'm not going shopping with glass jars as don't really have a 'fill your own' shop near us. Supermarket veg I put in the plastic bags provided but use the bags again for my bread but these will eventually end up in the bin. Cat food does not come loose!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generated two bags of cat litter box waste and half a bag of kitchen waste. I will add the half a bag of fabric scraps to the kitchen waste, when I take it out to the trash can, tomorrow. In addition, I generated two bags of recyclable items - paper, cans, glass, plastic, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!