Thursday 26 January 2023

A Little Cottage, With Roses Round The Door...

Does your home have a name, or a number? In 1765 an Act of Parliament decreed that all new properties should have a number  and a street name, for better identification. We live in #4, but have named our home Cornerstones. It is a fairly ordinary 1970s bungalow. 

I read that there are more than 11,000 properties named "Rose Cottage" in the UK [even more are named Orchard Cottage or Meadow Cottage] During the pandemic, when people in lockdown sought to escape from the things going on around them, the idea of 'cottagecore' was developed. A sort of dreamy escapism, where home was sanctuary, and people could adopt a slower, simpler way of life.
It is a nostalgic, romanticised version of life of rural England, where everyone lives off the land, and women float around in floral frocks. The kitchen is full of home baking, whilst freshly laundered linens waft on the breeze as they hang on the washing line, and baskets of new laid eggs and shiny red apples are displayed on the dresser. Homespun and home made, plus Arts&Crafts furnishings are the key.
Hand stitched cotton quilts, and folded woollen blankets are ready in the bedroom to provide winter warmth, and buzzing bees and bright butterflies are seen in the [weed-free!] garden. Everything is warm and welcoming and soft. The emphasis is on layering. 
No minimalism here - just prepare to be enveloped in cosiness!
I wonder how you feel about this style? Cottagecore has had an astonishing 12.5 billion views on TikTok [but not me, I've never ever looked at TikTok!]
What aspects of it do I like
  • obviously, I'm very happy with the idea of life in a pretty country village [but poor street lighting and only one bus an hour can be frustrating]
  • I like my Kilner jars full of 'pantry staples' [but think using them in the freezer is a daft idea]
  • I love my William Morris curtains [but much A&C furniture is too large, dark and heavy for a small bungalow]
  • I'm grateful for my garden and the flowers, and fresh veg [but acknowledge that its hard work keeping it tidy and productive]
  • I'm definitely all for hand made, hand stitched, hand crafted and home baked
On the other hand, I appreciate many of the advantages of modern technology, and whilst I acknowledge that some of greatgrandmama's herbal remedies were of benefit, modern pharmacology has saved many lives. And nowadays solar panels on the roof are more useful than thatch. I'm glad I do not have to get up early and 'lay the fires', or carry jugs of water from the kitchen to the bathroom for washing.
Are you into 'cottagecore'? 
or do you prefer a minimalist approach?
Either way, it is the love and care that makes somewhere 'home' isn't it?

And thank you everyone for your kind words yesterday regarding the Vertigo. It is clearly a much more common problem than I realised, and all the suggestions were really helpful!





20 comments:

  1. I am afraid that I hadn't heard of the term "cottagecore"; then again, I'm not on many of the social media sites. Or, maybe it is a British term? Over here, I've heard of "farmhouse" which, according to my daughter is the modern version of "country style" that I liked. Which I still like, to a certain extent, except I am inching my way to a more pared down "country", which, I guess, is what "farmhouse" is all about. But, I do have a rose bush growing near my front door, if not actually around it and there are plenty of handmade quilts and blankets on all the beds and sofas! My house has a number, though, not a name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think cottagecore is probably a British thing. And your handmade quilts are gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of a slower-paced life and more natural materials, less plastic but I do appreciate a warm, modern house after growing up in an older freezing house which had issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I grew up in house where we woke in winter to ice inside the windows!

      Delete
  3. Our house is called 'The Cottage' and as far as I can tell this has been the case since at least the 1850s. There are only 8 properties within a half mile radius and in 1850 the house would have been fairly isolated so I can understand why it would simply be referred to as The Cottage. We do a lot of cottagey things at a cottagey pace but I wouldn't identify as cottagecore: we lack the finesse and artistic choreography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you underestimate yourself Philip - the glorious photographs you post show great finesse and artistic style. I imagine your home is equally lovely. (hoping that we will finally manage to visit this year)

      Delete
  4. I don't think many of the fans of cottagecore realise that the 'simple homecomforts' look was largely down to make-do and mend as a result of WWII, of shortages, of householders donating any metal they could, a shortage of building materials, unpicked and re-knitted jumpers. I remember those days, and appreciate any mod-cons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must have a split personality as I am both into cottagecore and minimalism. So I tend to either swing between the two or try to take the best bits from both that I really love.

    Oh and my home has both a number and a name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. number/name, cottagecore/minimalism - strikes me you have the best of both worldsn Sue!

      Delete
  6. Susan from Across the Pond26 January 2023 at 12:38

    I like to look at cottagecore, but I don't think I'd like to live it. I like my mismatched, eclectic, menagerie aesthetic. Everyplace I look has something that I specifically picked, or made, or collected in our travels, or was gifted by a dear one. Why would I want to pare that down to a curated look? Our decor reflects our family and a live well lived. A life well loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan - I too like an eclectic mix of 'possessions that spark memories'. And "A life well lived/a life well loved' is a great family motto

      Delete
  7. I'm like you and don't do tik tok but love the idea of most aspects of 'cottage core'. We live in the country and have a lovely old stone house with a beautiful garden but I'm not a natural stylist so everything here is a little random and hotch potch and not always in a good way! Still most of the time I'm able to be content reminding myself regularly that life isn't like the glossy pages of lifestyle magazines!
    Thanks for the thought provoking post
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, TikTok and glossy magazines are often very false in the impression that they give. In my book, 'random and hotchpotch' beats 'bland and uniform' every time!

      Delete
  8. Like you (and most decoorating treands), I like some aspects of 'cottagecore' but have no need to jump in with both feet. A friend in the UK sent me a Cottagecore book and it's been fun to read.
    Sorry for the typos, I cannot see what I'm typing.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise there were BOOKS about it - do people really need instructions on how to do it?

      Delete
  9. I think it was in Nicholas Nickleby that I was reading about thatched roofs and earwigs falling down indoors! Authentic cottagecore enthusiasts could have outhouses instead of indoor toilets! 😃. I love cosy homes, as long as they are convenient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The adjective "Dickensian" sums up all the things one does NOT want in a nostalgic cottage.

      Delete
  10. My grandparents' home was called The Moorings though they were nowhere near a body of water.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!