Thursday 19 January 2023

God Save The Queen!

It's OK, I know we have a King now...but yesterday Bob and I had a day out in Diss and visited an establishment which sells old tools/militaria/army surplus/catering supplies/ etc etc etc. Gillings of Diss brands itself as "East Anglia's biggest Aladdin's Cave" and it certainly is. Bob had two items on his 'wishlist' - and the retail price of the cheaper item [Maun parallel pliers] was £28. We came away with those [new and unused], and three other items - for a total cost of £30. Result! I found a Coronation Mug from 1953. Well - more  of a tankard really, it is way bigger than your average mug. 
It measures 4½" high - and holds well over a pint, and was designed by Robert Guyatt. As you see, the design incorporates the Lion and the Unicorn, the Crown, and" 1953“- inside the gold rimmed mug are the words "God Save the Queen" 
According to the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, [who own a mug just like this] "Richard Gerald Talbot Guyatt CBE (1914-2007) began his career as a freelance graphic designer with posters for Shell-Mex and BP and book illustrations. At the Royal College of Art, where he was a professor from 1948 and later rector, he led the introduction of education in graphic design and influenced subsequent expansion into typography, illustration, printmaking, photography, film and television design.

From 1952-55 and 1967-70 Guyatt was consultant designer to Wedgwood and this commemorative mug for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953 was the first of his Wedgwood designs to be put into large scale production. The company had revived the use of engraved designs in the mid 1930s – a mode of decoration which allowed the artist’s own work and ‘hand-writing’ to be reproduced in a factory setting, and well suited to Guyatt’s style. He also designed Wedgwood commemorative mugs for the Prince of Wales's Investiture in 1969 and several royal weddings. Guyatt’s other commissions included stamps, the WH Smith logo and packaging for Anchor butter.

I found the mug at the rear of a dingy shed, at the back of a shelf of plain white china. It was exceedingly grubby, and I took it to the bloke and asked how much. He looked at me and said "Three Quid?" "OK that's fine" I said [I'd been prepared for anything up to £10 for a mug this size!] It is very mid-century in design, reminiscent of the artwork of the 1951 Festival of Britain. I like it. 

Checking online, I see that optimists are advertising them for sale at prices between £30 and £300, and one recently sold at auction for £360. I shall keep mine and put a pot plant in it.

Following the incident with the Sylvanian Meerkats last month, I spotted some in a CS in Diss - but now priced at £15 for a box [previously £3:50] They had six sets on the shelf. But I wonder if they will sell at that price in the CS, where all the other toys are £5 or less?







16 comments:

  1. You found a good bargain! A wonderful souvenir, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to visit Diss after seeing it on train departure boards a lot! Glad you and Bob got what you wanted and needed for a suitable price! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are certainly some interesting little shops (in between all the CS and the coffee shops)

      Delete
  3. What a find, very unusual, and so 1950s. There were some great designers in that decade. Love Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Lucien Day was my favourite - I love her fabrics

      Delete
  4. I had no idea about that scrap yard/treasure place - will have to have a look now I know where it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY eclectic items - mostly from ex forces auctions I suspect. But if you need warm garments (Army Arctic Issue jackets, gloves and boots) old tools (tiny and HUGE) catering gear (20” paella pans, basic white crockery) ropes and cords, camouflage fabric and mosquito nets, plumbing spares or nuts and bolts...it's all there!!

      Delete
  5. Will you be tempted to go back often to see what's come in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect Bob will (and I'll go along just in case)

      Delete
  6. That's a lovely mug and I'm glad you have got a good use for it. Charity shops do themselves a huge disservice when they find the 'true' value of things and try to get full price for them. And I speak as an ex charity shop manager. Far better to ask a realistic price and actually get it, than to sit on an item for months in the hope of selling it at a much higher price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a juggling act, isn't it? I'm sure I got my accuquilt dies so cheaply because the manager was fed up with them taking up a lot of shed space and not selling

      Delete
  7. love the mug, great price. Miss the Queen.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...but I think recent royal shenanigans would have saddened her

      Delete
  8. What a splendid mug! You both did well at the store.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!