Monday 16 January 2023

On A Roll

 
We are still enjoying Christmas food here - some "just in case" stuff from the freezer [because with all the family here, I didn't know how much we would eat, and I didn't want to interrupt family time popping to the shops] and also we were given two lovely hampers of food. Edible Christmas gifts are always appreciated!
I don't really go in for buying "Christmas themed" foodstuffs [turkey'n'stuffing crisps etc] although a stollen, and a panettone are seasonal treats. But post Christmas, there are often festive items in the yellow sticker section. Bob was pleased to find a pot of Waitrose brandy butter reduced to 35p - we served it with a hot fruit pie.  [I don't really like BB - I prefer cream or custard with a Christmas pud] But the best bargain was in Lidl. 
In Lidl I found part-baked rolls, 70% off - just 29p for a pack. I bought two. I'm really not fussed that they are arranged in a Christmas tree shape, and they are best before mid-Feb, so well in date. 
They will be great to accompany all the home made soup I plan to make with my frozen turkey [and ham] stock.
Last Saturday I did my first proper gardening of the year. The raised bed is properly weeded, topped up with compost and covered with card.
I unearthed some previously undiscovered crops - just a few small leeks, potatoes and carrots, plus a handful of spinach leaves. 
Nothing gets wasted. I made two bowls of soup and served them with amazing rainbow bagels I'd brought back from Borough Market.
But the next time we have soup, there will be Xmas tree rolls on the side.
THANK YOU to everyone who made such useful comments and gave helpful advice about the Boots. I will keep you posted on my progress, when something is afoot.
 

18 comments:

  1. I got two hampers this year, too! I also noticed that a lot more gifts were edible, a trend I like as there's less stuff to find places for. I made Christmas puds for quite a lot of friends and I received home-made sausage rolls, florentines, mince pies, hams, chutneys etc. Brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holiday foods are always a treat, aren't they? You did well finding those reduced price items and using the last few vegetables growing in the garden to make some soup! One of the things I miss by not doing my own grocery shopping is finding bargains in the reduced price racks. I used to find good deals!
    Well done getting the raised bed ready for spring planting! One of the things M has been urging me to make is a raised bed. Maybe I'll ask him to make me one, this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly easier on the knees, less bending and digging!

      Delete
  3. Love the pun-well done! We’re on an eat it up time here too, and have woken up to some snow. Will walk round to the small Sainbugs for fresh veg and milk. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No snow here...yet...but it is very cold

      Delete
  4. We are still eating up Christmas foods. I especially looked for ones with a good long sell by date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, finding a long sell by date is always a wise idea

      Delete
  5. The worms will be thanking you in that nice covered raised bed, fresh compost for them to pull down and a nice roof to keep the worst of the frost out, you'll have lovely warmed through soil ready for planting in at the first sign of Spring.
    And some fresh homegrown food as payment for the bit of gardening too, you can't beat it can you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'll ever get to grow mega cabbages Iike yours, but I am enjoying the challenge of gardening. Glad I did it on Saturday, it's cold and snowing here now

      Delete
  6. Aldi had Christmas cookies at 70% off. They just happened to jump into my hand. (Best eaten by April; I think I can manage that.)
    I also bought a panettone for 50% off at another store but that and the stollen are a pleasant memory. ~ skye

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like panettone pan fried in butter...

    ReplyDelete
  8. love food gifts, but didn't get any this year, other than the advent calendars......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when ACs were just coloured cardboard with windows to open showing a picture - no gifts inside

      Delete
  9. I had bought some items with Christmas in mind and nobody came and we got snowed in, but on Saturday these things were fortunately still well within the best by date (whipping cream, boxed stuffing for example). There were one or two things we used up earlier. Anyway the family came and we had turkey with trimmings, using a couple of fresh turkey breasts on the bone, and of course we had turkey sandwiches for lunch on Sunday. I didn't find any bargains in the store after Christmas itself, as I wasn't well enough to go looking, but that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad the family got to you in the end

      Delete
  10. Ooh, great bargains! I did really well on the peppers stuffed with Ricotta last week but not really got any festive bargains. Those rolls sound good. I got packs of 4 part-baked rustic Hovis rolls for 50p from my local market back in Jan as there is a stall that sells stuff close to or past its BB date. The rolls are 3 weeks out of date at least but are fine! I bought 3 packs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your stuffed peppers sound good, Kezzie

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!